2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 3:42 PM by Devon Woods

Newbie: How to run batch files and VBscript files in a job

Devon Woods

First of all, I am a newbie to BBSA and I need some guidance on the best way to accomplish the following:

My client has a process that they want incorporated into BBSA.  What they have been doing outside of BBSA on each server is running a batch file to determine whether the OS is 32 bit or 64 bit. Then based off of that information, the batch file stops IIS, installs the corresponding 32 bit or 64 bit MSI files using msiexec command line and parameters, copies a config file to a folder, runs a VBscipt file and then starts IIS back up again. The key component of this are the MSI files ...they want to be able to run compliance afterwards to be sure they are installed on each server.

At present, I am going through Sean Berry 's "How do I get started with BladeLogic (BSA)?  How do I learn more about BladeLogic?  How do I use it to do my job?  Solve problems for my company? (Getting Started)" document to help myself as much as possible.

Here's the method that is currently in my head ...

1. Create a filedeploy job to distribute the files to each server
      2. Create a blpackage with an external command to run the batch file
      3. Create a batch job to incorporate both 1 and 2

Am I on the right track?

P.S. I am going to get more formal training soon :-)

• 1. Re: Newbie: How to run batch files and VBscript files in a job
          Joe Piotrowski

Personally, if I understand what you're doing. I would use Compliance for this. You can use two different Components Templates (32 bit and 64 bit) or combine them into one. Use Rules to determine if your servers meet the conditions you're looking for (running services, application versions, etc) and attach remediation packages as BLPackages. And the Compliance Job will tell you if your servers are all up to date when you're finished and run the compliance job once you're finished.

If you don't want to go that route, you can just do a file deploy job that drops all the files, and you can use a post command to kick off a script that does all the logic and installation for you, based on whether the server is 32 or 64 bit. But it's a "dummy" way of doing it vs and it's more of a "fire and forget" approach without any intelligent conditions or metrics on whether or not the servers are now meeting your standard.