This post has to take my vote for "Most Entertaining (but Scarily Accurate) Post of 2014" in this community!
Glad I was able to sneak it in before end of year voting
Can you post the link to the IDEA you have logged to improve this feature of BSA?
Then we can all go and vote for it :-)
I think I've given up submitting ideas. They don't get the proper exposure. Just get buried. Also whats the success rate of Ideas being included in the product? Going to write rants from now on, gets the frustration off my chest without having to worry about upvotes .
Aww - now you are becoming par of the problem not the solution
I would still recommend that you get an IDEA created and lobby for support on these communities.
A publicly posted, highly voted for IDEA sends a a clear message to decision makers, and you have achance of getting the desired outcome, whereas a rant on it's own may make you feel better, but won't get anything fixed :-)
I have posted this whole discussion to all the Product Mangers, Engineering Directors and Support Managers involved with Server Automation.
meh. updated above.
The problem w/ lobsters...
jk. you can set nsh parameter overrides and deploy property overrides now right? yeah - i agree that we should show the runs from an ET more clearly (and have a goto link to take you to the ET)
what would make ideas better ? - i mean, we can't turn each one around the next day, and i'm sure there are some legal things about saying X will be in release Y that someone is concerned w/. we have implemented on them - filter by 'delivered' and note that there are still RFEs in the old system being added they just don't show up here.
I have lots of faults, I know.
I'm not saying anything about next day turnaround, or even X to be delivered in Y. Completely understand that solutions need to be deployed methodically and after LOTS AND LOTS of testing/QA.
Thanks for the heads up on the Ideas filtering (Declined: 0, Delivered: 12, Under Consideration: 11)
What would make Ideas better? - Let me first start with my understanding of Ideas.
- Ideas are considered by BMC if a vote threshold is hit && it aligns with BMC strategy.
- Ideas that dictate implementation are not considered. (BMC Ideas Overview)
- I agree that most* of us could do a better job of explaining the Idea by exemplifying a problem or providing better evidence of why an Idea would make a great enhancement
To me, this means BMC picks ^highly-visible ideas(met vote threshold) from the community that help push the strategy.
I understand the problem is that everyone has different use cases and are at different levels of product use. Some use all facets of the product, some use just a few features. I suppose that the highly sought after Ideas are for features that are being employed by the majority of your customers and the less visible Ideas are only being employed by small pockets of people.
1. I think it would be beneficial for the BSA heads to hold a bi-yearly or yearly webex/communities session, describing BSA's forward strategy. This could help level set the community when it comes to Ideas and help to align people to adapt their Ideas or own strategies in parallel to the BSA strategy.
2. Looking at the product holistically and evaluate the list of ideas for implementations that would provide overall product enhancement. (Yes this may benefit a small % of people, but that doesn't mean its not important or not worthy of consideration, especially if it helps provide customer value by bringing focus to a lesser used feature)
I spend pretty much my entire Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday inside of BladeLogic, so excuse any negative sentiment, I'm really just after some enhancements and strengthening of the product. I would like to see BSA become a gold standard in automation tools, and be able to stick up for it as more and more cfg mgmt/automation tools are released to the enterprise that could possibly knock BSA off its block (aka I want to keep my job)
Just FYI, the grapevine says standby for some announcements regarding IDEAS early in 2015
Hopefully the content will be what you want....
Jim - Thanks for chasing this up. Much appreciated