4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2014 3:25 PM by James Donohue

Skip running a Compliance Rule on certain Targets

James Donohue

I have a Component Template that targets both Windows 2003 and 2008 Servers. I have 1 Rule that must not be run on Windows 2003. Instead of creating another Component Template for W2K3 for this one rule, I decided to keep it in the original Template. Is there a way that I can run the Compliance Rule against all Components but skip any Windows 2003 Server?

I tried using IF-THEN but it seems to ignore the IF criteria and still tries to execute the Rule which generates a nasty error.

• 1. Re: Skip running a Compliance Rule on certain Targets
          Iain Taylor

You could set an exclusion in for the rule, if you already have a smart group with your 2k3 servers in it you could just apply it to the exclusion for targets.

Iain

• 2. Re: Skip running a Compliance Rule on certain Targets
            James Donohue

I never heard an exclusion on a Compliance Rule. Could you explain how that is done?

• 3. Re: Skip running a Compliance Rule on certain Targets
              Iain Taylor

Hi James, that's probably because I mean exceptions

There are a number of places that you can set your exceptions,

from the individual component itself or as I will show you below from the compliance results

If you show results of the compliance run and select the rule that is causing the issue from rule view, you can right click on the rule and "Set Exception"

exception 1.JPG

From there its a three screen configuration,

1. You have to give the exception a name, and you can provide notes and either define when the exception is due to finish or set it never to expire.

Click next

2. Select the rule that you are setting the exception against.

click next

3. Select the components you are going to exclude, as I say you can either select individual components or I think you can select to add a component smart group.

I hope this helps you do what you need to do

Iain

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Skip running a Compliance Rule on certain Targets
                James Donohue

Well, as usual, things in BSA are usually easier than I think they are. I was testing the rule that I only want to run on W2K8 Server (exclude W2K3) using the 'Test Compliance Rule' tool and it was consistently giving errors. But when I run the entire Component Template / Compliance job against ALL Targets, it does bypass running the rule on W2K3 Servers. So, it seems, I have the results that I intended to get; was just testing individually from the 'Test Compliance Rule' screen.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion Iain.