14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 5:28 PM by PAWAN KAUSHIK

Dynamic Search Menu population

Share This:

Hi Friend,

Can u please put your thoughts in creating a search menu?

Need to create 3 field[f1,f2,f3] on  form A with the attached search menu each.These menu will get populated from a back end form B.which records the information of let say COUNTRY/STATE/CITY/TOWN

Requirement :-

f1 menu  should get populated with list of STATE (Completed)

f2 menu  should get populated with list of CITY of the Selected STATE in the f1(Completed)

f3 menu  should get populated with list of TOWN of the Selected CITY in the f2(Completed)

Now  there is case wherein if we select only STATE not CITY(keeping the CITY field blank) then  for f3 menu should get populated with the list of TOWN of the selected STATE .(NOT COMPLETED)

i am not able to think of qualification for the search menu of f3 that will achieve this.as already there is qualification which populate the list of TOWN of the Selected CITY in the f2.

Please suggest....

• 1. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
          Mohammad Rehman

How is your three tier data is stored underneath?

• 2. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
            Mohammad Rehman

Please post your City and town menu qualifications.

Let say, if you have qualification in Town menu like this.

'City' = $10000000001$

then change it to

('City' = $10000000001$ OR $10000000001$ = " ")

• 3. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population

Just an idea !!! You can create many menu and change the menu by Active Links with a Change Field action.

By default:

f1 menu  should get populated with list of STATE (ALL)

f2 menu  should get populated with list of CITY (ALL)

f3 menu  should get populated with list of TOWN (ALL)

When user select a STATE:

Change the f2 menu for a menu with qualification of the selected state

AND

Change the f3 menu for a menu with qualification of the selected state (TOWN of this state) or disabled this field

When user select a CITY:

Change the f3 menu for a menu with qualification of the selected state AND CITY

Something like that...

Have fun

Jo

• 4. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population

Thanks Mohammad,

On form B

COUNTRY

STATE

CITY

TOWN

On form A

3 fields

Say: STATE_A  field attached to to f1

CITY_A  field attached to f2 ('COUNTRY'=$10001$ AND 'STATE'=$10002$)

TOWN_A   field attached to f3  ( 'COUNTRY'=$10001$ AND 'STATE'=$10002$ AND 'CITY'=$10002$

what should be the qualification in f3 which will populate list of TOWN of the selected STATE in case CITY_A is not selected and if both STATE_A and CITY_A selected then TOWN_A should get populate as per the CITY_A Selected.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                  Mohammad Rehman

As I mentioned above giving an example.

your TOWN_A field attached to f3 qualification will become.

TOWN_A   field attached to f3   'COUNTRY'=$10001$ AND 'STATE'=$10002$ AND ('CITY'=$10002$ OR $10002$=" ")

I see 1002 field is referenced in State as well in City. Please make sure you are referencing the right field value when querying source data.

• 6. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                    PAWAN KAUSHIK

Hi Mohammad Rehman,

Can you also let me know that how can i create the same menu ? like i want if i select 1st field as country as India then in 2nd field all states of India Should visible and if user is select any state in 2 field after country then all the city in this state should visible ?? how can i do this from a fresh start ?

• 7. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                      Mohammad Rehman

Lets say you have Field Country and menu is associated with this field and for example Country field id is 536870925 and State field id is 536870926.

If you are using menu on State field make sure the menu has the query qualification would be like this ('Country' = $536870925$) and will return matching the selected country.

• 8. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                        PAWAN KAUSHIK

I want to know that how should i proceed from starting to achieve this ?

• 9. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                          Mohammad Rehman

Look at the form CFG:Geography State-Province and see the menu attached on Country and state/province fields.

I hope this will be helpful.

• 10. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                            PAWAN KAUSHIK

Hi Mohammad,

On this form CFG:Geography Country how it is fetching the values about country as i checked CFG:Geography Country and CFG:Geography State-Province county field have the same menu name

• 11. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                              Mohammad Rehman

I don't understand what do you mean, would you please provide more detail what the issue? you should provide the full detail where the country and state/province values are stored where you want to select?

• 12. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                                PAWAN KAUSHIK

I have a custom Form like Form1 and there are three character fields like Country,State,City now i want that if i select the India as Country then all the states within India Should be Populated. Now my points are:

1. Where should i store the data of Country,State,City

2.If i am understanding correctly then i should create a form2 with the same fields and need to store the data inside these fields ? and then i should create a search menu over the form1 and attach them with the fields present on form1 ?

i am sorry if i am confusing you but i didn't worked on dynamic menus that's why i want to know that how can we make them with the help me experts like you

• 13. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                                  Mohammad Rehman

If you want to create the new form to store the geographic data thats fine.

Lets say new form name is PAWAN_Geographic_Data and it has three fields

Country

State/Province

City

Populate the data in this form.

Now you want to use these fields in form PAWAN_Transactional_Form and you added these three fields.

Country ( Field iD 536870945)     create/attache menu similar to CFG:GCN:Country-Q which will pull the country from PAWAN_Geographic_Data

State/Province( Field iD 536870946) create/attache menu similar to CFG:GSP:State/Province-Q which will pull the country from PAWAN_Geographic_Data using $536870945$ as country parameter in query.

City( Field iD 536870947) create/attache menu similar to CFG:GCT:City-Q which will pull the country from PAWAN_Geographic_Data using $536870945$ as country, $536870946$ as state/province parameter in query..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Dynamic Search Menu population
                                    PAWAN KAUSHIK

GOT it Mohammad, Thanks a Lot