3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 4:46 AM by Paul Donders

Updating user with Manager

Share This:

Hello,

Pentaho job provided by BMC to upsert users from AD to SFDC doesn't take care of setting Manager of the user if it is going to come as an attribute of user object. In order to support this,

I was trying to create a new transformation to update user object with Manager after initial user upsert has taken place. We would be getting manager email from AD as an attribute. User object has email field marked as "id lookup". Does anyone know how to update manager of a user through Pentaho, without having to resort to ManagerId and using Manager email to find out correct user-manager.

Above thing can be done with SFDC APEX data loader, but wanted to know if and how it can be done using Pentaho without having to resort to SFDC Ids of user object.

- Vijosh

• 1. Re: Updating user with Manager
          Paul Donders

Hi Vijosh,

What you need to do is to create a lookup step based upon the email, like get id of manager and user where email = id of manager field.

Next do an upsert based on user id to set the related manager id.

I hope this makes sense!

• 2. Re: Updating user with Manager

Hello Paul,

thanks for your response. As I had said in my question, I would ideally like to do this without having to resort to SFDC ids of user object. In fact, this is how I am doing it now.

But with this, I have to export User (id and email fields) object and this operation can be quite expensive if number of users are large.

You can achieve this through data loader by having mapping of the form

Manager=Manager\:BMCServiceDesk__UniqueUserIDInSource__c or

Manager=Manager\:username or

Manager=Manager\:email

depending on what you use to get User object for Manager.

Ideally I would want to avoid having to use 2 tools for user data upload.

- Vijosh

• 3. Re: Updating user with Manager
              Paul Donders

Hi, 

What I mention are steps within Pentaho. Here you can do this as well is one filw without the need of Dataloader.

To describe all steps is a bit more complex, but hope the flow below will help.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG