Skip navigation
    7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 9:03 AM by Hal DeVore

TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?

moshe bomash

Hello,

Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?

Does Microsoft's SysInternals AutoLogon tool can help?

Thanks,

Moshe.

• 1. Re: TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?
          Christophe Oggeri

Hi Moshe,

When you are using Silktest monitors, you should setup the windows account in the execution server configuration or the monitor configuration (Terminal Services User).

Then when the ES will open a RDP session, it will use the provided credential over the windows lock screen.

If needed, you have also some other prerequisites available in the documentation.

• 2. Re: TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?
            moshe bomash

Hello Christophe ,

Thanks for the response! But my problem that we are executing silk test monitor on Win 7 desktop (not a server). So as far as I know, there is no Terminal Services on Win7. So my question is: Does there is any option to execute SilkTest monitors, on Win 7 desktop machine, over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?

Thanks,

Moshe.

• 3. Re: TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?
              Christophe Oggeri

Hi Moshe,

I am not sure that it is possible.

As you said there is no TSE on workstation. I think you can use silktest without using TSE by configuring it in the execution server's configuration, but it will no able you to logon as the credential are setup for RDP connection only.

About the Autologon way you can use it in several way, but you have to be carefull about the way are stored the password.

Anyway, if you are using an autologon on a workstation, maybe there is no sense to put any password ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?
                Hal DeVore

Moshe,

In the past it has not been possible to run Silk Test on a non-server Windows edition and also have the screen locked.

You might want to explore this with Micro Focus as this would be totally contained within their products.

--Hal

South Coast Software Consulting

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?
                  moshe bomash

Hi Hal and Christophe,

Thanks for the response!

Here what I found in Micro Focus KB:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is it possible to run scripts on a workstation which has been locked?

If the screen saver is active SilkTest will report back with the error "Window Cannot Be Set Active". Although this request has been routinely requested unfortunately there is no way for this to be implemented. When the screensaver is active then the application is effectively no longer there and there is no GUI to interact with. Certain functionality will be available through API based playback but this is limited in its functionality.

Old KB# 21163

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So basically the answer to my question is NO.

But I found something else in Micro Focus KB that may solve my issue (don't sure it will work but I can try it tomorrow at the customer):

According to Micro Focus KB there is an option to  run SilkTest tests in a minimized RDP session (see detail below). So I can use other Windows server machine (not a TMART machine) and open from this server a RDP session to the win7 workstation (where the ES is running). In order to not interfere the Windows server, I can then minimize the RDP session (to the win7 ,by following Micro Focus KB). Basically I can also lock the windows server and it's should also work.

In Micro Focus KB there is also recommendation to use VNC viewer instead of TSE.

I will be happy to here your opinion.

Thanks!

Moshe.

How can I run SilkTest tests in a minimised RDP session?

Normally it is not possible to execute SilkTest tests in a minimised Remote Desktop (RDP) session. When you connect through RDP to a desktop, you take ownership of the desktop by attaching to the desktop with your keyboard and mouse. When you minimise the RDP window you release control of the desktop and SilkTest has no access to a keyboard or mouse causing the tests to fail.

However it is possible to reconfigure RDP while minimised by following the instructions below:

1. Close Remote Desktop sessions opened on your computer.

2. Launch the Registry editor (Regedit.exe).

3. Locate any of the following Registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\ (if you want to change the RDP settings for your user account)
                  -- or --
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\ (if you want to change the RDP settings for all accounts)

4. Create a new DWORD value in this key named RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized. Specify 2 as the value data.

5. If you use a 64-bit operating system, add the RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized value to the following keys under the Wow6432Node node:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\ (if you want to change the RDP settings for your user account)
                  -- or --
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\ (if you want to change the RDP settings for all accounts)

This way the Registry tweak will work in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Remote Desktop client. Now minimizing the RDP window on your computer will not affect the remote computer’s GUI and the GUI will still be available to your automated GUI tasks. This will enable SilkTest to access the keyboard, mouse and Desktop and therefore the tests should run as expected.

Please note that this is not supported, if it does not work then the only other way to run these tests on a minimised remote session would be to use VNC.

• 7. Re: TM-ART - Is there any option to run SilkTest monitors (running as a process) over windows lock screen (ctrl+alt+del)?
                    Hal DeVore

Hi, Moshe.

The info from Micro Focus is interesting but I'm unsure how it gets around the locked desktop on the Windows 7 system.

--Hal

South Coast Software Consulting