1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 4:02 PM by Yanick Girouard

How can I create a Red Hat patch catalog containing only GOLD (aka GA) level RPMs? (GOLD update level)

Yanick Girouard

I've recently started "playing around" with the Update Level type of product filtering in Red Hat patch catalogs, and find it very useful. Using 8.3 SP3, I'm able to create static catalogs built from the ISO of a specific update level (i.e. U2 = RHEL 6.2). However, I haven't found a way to create one that uses the GOLD level (i.e. RHEL 6.0). The input field is numeric and can't go below 1. Even if I manually type 0 (which it takes for some odd reason) even though the arrows on the numeric field don't go below 1, it's still trying to download U1 (RHEL 6.1).

I'm asking because one of the good thing about having a static catalog based on a GOLD level version would allow me to install RPMs using patching jobs (install mode) when I don't want to update a server that is using a GOLD release, which could happen. Granted, we probably wouldn't build new servers using RHEL 6.0 anyway, but I'm still curious how it would be possible. If RHEL 6 had just came out, I would have most likely done it. When RHEL 7 comes out, the same will apply.

As a parallel comparison, the spacewalk-create-channel command of a Red Hat Satellite site allows us to do that with the following switch (source):

-uUPDATE_LEVEL, --update=UPDATE_LEVEL - The update level of a channel to create (e.g. GOLD, U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, U6, U7, U8, U9), where GOLD stands for the initial release.

1 2 Previous Next