1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 10:00 AM by Jim Wilson

nexec to run a wmic command

Jim Wilson

Just wondering if anyone has encountered and resolved the following problem.

Executing this command directly works just fine:

wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")

but

nexec vw-hou-cus-sp77 wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")

RESULTS:

Node - VW-HOU-CUS-SP77

ERROR:

Description = Invalid query

The problem is that the special chars (\ and “) are getting stripped.

I have tried numerous variations of attempts to escape them to get the correct syntax passed to WMI but haven’t found the magic spell yet.

I’m hoping that someone out there will have come across this situation and resolved it

Thanks & Regards,

Jim

• 1. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
          R V

Have you tried setting single quotes for the outermost positions, e.g.

... groupcomponent='win32_group........COMPUTERNAME%\"'

Another option may be experimenting with doubled double-quotes, or doubled backslashes or any combination of them.

• 2. Re: Re: nexec to run a wmic command
            Jim Wilson

Thanks Reinhard, but that has not resolved the issue.

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec vw-hou-cus-sp77 wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent='"win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\""')

Node - VW-HOU-CUS-SP77

ERROR:

nexec is still stripping the special chars:

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec vw-hou-cus-sp77 echo wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent='"win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\

""')

wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent=win32_group.name=Administrators,

domain=VW-HOU-CUS-SP77)

I have tried doubling the \ and " chars in various ways, but have not found a setting that works.

• 3. Re: Re: Re: nexec to run a wmic command
              Cody Dean

This worked for me:

nexec -ncq SERVERNAME cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

• 4. Re: Re: Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                Jim Wilson

Are you sure?  There are unpaired parenthesis in there...

• 5. Re: Re: Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                  Cody Dean

Opps!  Something ate it.  Here ya go.  Also, why not just use net localgroup administrators?  WMIC can be problematic at times.

nexec -ncq SERVERNAME cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

• 6. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                    Mike Jones

wmic can be problematic, if you echo something to it works all the time.

So something like

nexec servername cmd /c "echo. | wmic computersystem get manufacturer"

• 7. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                      Cody Dean

As odd as it sounds, we actually have discovered a handful of servers that had corrupted WMI catalogs, and a WMI call would hang forever causing the job to hang as well.  Granted, we had the Sysadmins fix their systems, but it was still enough of a concern that we try to limit the times we use WMI.

• 8. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                        Mike Jones

if you still have a server in that state it might be worth trying with the echo, the reason we use this is that we had a number of server where the wmic call would hang forever and this seemed to fix it

• 9. Re: Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                          Jim Wilson

Thanks Cody & Mike - some progress.

Running Mike's echo suggestion works:

C:\Users\jiwilson>nexec vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c "echo. | wmic computersystem get manufacturer"

Manufacturer

VMware, Inc.

but when I put the original query in, not so good:

C:\Users\jiwilson>nexec vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c "echo. | wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")"

Node - VW-HOU-CUS-SP78

ERROR:

Using Cody's suggested format:

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec -ncq vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

No Instance(s) Available.

If I hard code the value for COMPUTERNAME:

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec -ncq vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"vw-hou-cus-sp78\"")'

GroupComponent                                              PartComponent

win32_group.domain="vw-hou-cus-sp78",name="Administrators"  \\VW-HOU-CUS-SP78\root\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="VW-HOU-CUS-SP78",Name="Administrator"

win32_group.domain="vw-hou-cus-sp78",name="Administrators"  \\VW-HOU-CUS-SP78\root\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="VW-HOU-CUS-SP78",Name="rdsroot"

win32_group.domain="vw-hou-cus-sp78",name="Administrators"  \\VW-HOU-CUS-SP78\root\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="VW-HOU-CUS-SP78",Name="rdsmon"

If I hard code the COMPUTERNAME into the echo version, it still does not work

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c "echo. | wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"vw-hou-cus-sp78\"")"

Node - VW-HOU-CUS-SP78

ERROR:

So, the closest so far still needs a way to substitute the COMPUTERNAME

Thanks & Regards,

Jim

• 10. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                            Cody Dean

Try your command with the -ncq, which allows you to use double quotes inside the command

nexec -ncq SERVERNAME cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

This was the output I got:

win32_group.domain="SERVERNAME",name="Administrators"  \\SERVERNAME\ro

ot\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="SERVERNAME",Name="USER1"

win32_group.domain="SERVERNAME",name="Administrators"  \\SERVERNAME\ro

ot\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="SERVERNAME",Name="USER2"

• 11. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                              Cody Dean

I was able to do similar with Mike's sugestion:

nexec -ncq SERVERNAME cmd /c 'echo. | wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

win32_group.domain="SERVERNAME ",name="Administrators"  \\SERVERNAME \ro

ot\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="SERVERNAME ",Name="USER1"

win32_group.domain="SERVERNAME ",name="Administrators"  \\SERVERNAME \ro

ot\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="SERVERNAME ",Name="USER2"

• 12. Re: Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                                Jim Wilson

Is your SERVERNAME remote?

For your update (post number 10), my command and your command are exactly the same, except mine only works if I hard-code the value for COMPUTERNAME as the remote target.

I suspect that the variable it is getting substituted for the source server name where the nexec is being executed from.

For the Echo format, I have to replace the ' (single quote) with " (double quote), else i get "invalid verb".  With " I get "Invalid query"

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec -ncq vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

No Instance(s) Available.

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec -ncq vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c 'wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"vw-hou-cus-sp78\"")'

win32_group.domain="vw-hou-cus-sp78",name="Administrators"  \\VW-HOU-CUS-SP78\root\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="VW-HOU-CUS-SP78",Name="Administrator"

win32_group.domain="vw-hou-cus-sp78",name="Administrators"  \\VW-HOU-CUS-SP78\root\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="VW-HOU-CUS-SP78",Name="rdsroot"

win32_group.domain="vw-hou-cus-sp78",name="Administrators"  \\VW-HOU-CUS-SP78\root\cimv2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="VW-HOU-CUS-SP78",Name="rdsmon"

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec -ncq vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c 'echo. | wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"%COMPUTERNAME%\"")'

Invalid Verb.

C:\Users\Administrator>nexec vw-hou-cus-sp78 cmd /c "echo. | wmic path win32_groupuser where (groupcomponent="win32_group.name=\"Administrators\",domain=\"vw-hou-cus-sp78\"")"

Node - VW-HOU-CUS-SP78

ERROR:

Any further ideas welcomed

Thanks & Regards,

Jim

• 13. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                                  Mike Jones

As long as the %COMPUTERNAME% is getting transferred to the remote host that should resolve locally to the hostname on which it is running

This does seem to be a complicated way to return a list of users in a local group.

I would tend to use

nexec servername net localgroup administrators | grep -v -e Alias -e Comment -e Members -e "--"

• 14. Re: nexec to run a wmic command
                                    Jim Wilson

Thanks Mike!

I am not sure I agree that using WMI is any more complicated that any other method.

It's only complicated because we can't work out the syntax that nexec won't foul up :-)

But I'm happy to suggest an alternative that achieves the same result, so let me see how that goes. 

1 2 Previous Next