6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 2:17 PM by Raja Mohan

gentoo64 boot

Raja Mohan

hi, if i boot using gentoo64 it automatically restarts at the end. Is it possible to shutdown or wait for restrart instead of restart before the pxe/kickstart starts?

• 1. Re: gentoo64 boot
          Bill Robinson

Yes, it should start bmi, talk to the appserver and wait.  I think there was an issue w/ bmi64 and later versions of the Gentoo install image.

• 2. Re: gentoo64 boot
            Raja Mohan

Bill Robinson should i try the 32 bit image? :-) I was looking for a way to logically interrupt the process before kickstart that will provide me with sufficient time to provision storage. Though i am not using any of the gentoo, It will allow me to boot the server let HBA's to login to switches, so can go ahead with storage provisioning.

• 3. Re: gentoo64 boot
              Bill Robinson

at one point the bmi64 would not work w/ the newer 64bit gentoo images due to some changes in the 64bit images.  what version of the install-minimal are you using?

the 32bit should work though.  you could maybe put in a 'pre-install' script in the system package and have it sleep or something - how long does it take to provision storage ?

• 4. Re: gentoo64 boot
                Raja Mohan

The storage provisioning is implemented through BAO workflow, it generally takes few minutes. Let us say for automation purpose 5 minutes and want the blade to essentially pause during this period. If i used gentoo boot (normally we skip linux preboot and go directly to PXE based kickstart) it gives me enough time to provision storage. But what i really want is to ensure storage is provisioned, so the gentoo boot can either wait with a prompt before BMI or reboot or even actual shutdown of the blade.

• 5. Re: gentoo64 boot
                  Bill Robinson

in the pre-install section of the system package, write a shell script that loops and waits for the storage to become available... something like doing a re-scan of the scsi bus, looking for a drive that meets certain conditions and then doing a sleep for 30s or something if it's not there...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: gentoo64 boot
                    Raja Mohan

I will try that... thanks