2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 12:54 PM by Joe Piotrowski

Error 1406. Could not write value RSCD64 to key \Installer\Features\...

Joe Piotrowski

Getting the following error at the end of an 8.5.01.01 RSCD Agent installation:

Error 1406. Could not write value RSCD64 to key \Installer\Features\CEC16B602C23AFA4186D6B50B3DAA7C3. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

agentError02.jpg

Digging into the registry it appears that Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer only has Everyone Read permission.

agentError01.jpg

Looking at other permissions it appears to be missing SYSTEM and Administrator Full Control permissions. This appears to be an issue on the server side. But I was wondering if anyone else had come across this issue and knew a fix for it.

I'm loath to push permissions at the Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT level to try to resolve.

• 1. Re: Error 1406. Could not write value RSCD64 to key \Installer\Features\...
          Jim Wilson

SYSTEM and Administrators having Full Control would be the Microsoft default, so someone has deliberately restricted permissions on that server.  I guess you need to find out who imposed the restriction and why.

It does look like you will need to add the permissions to be able to get a successful RSCD Agent install, even if it is just for the duration of the install itself, and as so much of the usual RSCD Agent work is via being mapped to Administrators, if there has been a hardening to restrict what Administrators can do, you may well encounter other unexpected and unpredictable problems..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error 1406. Could not write value RSCD64 to key \Installer\Features\...
            Joe Piotrowski

Thanks Jim. This is a test server in my local VM environment, so I'm not sure how that Installer key had the permissions changed. I found similar problems with registry keys but no good solution. So I pushed permissions from the parent key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to all the subkeys and that allowed me to install the agent.

agentError03.jpg