0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 1:46 PM by Ian Phillips

How do I use Action Maps in RLM?

I am trying to understand the RLM system and trying to solve certain problems using it.  I am getting VERY frustrated at the documentation.

It seems that they have invested a great deal of time in the 30,000 foot view of the system documentation but then, when you get to details, you get stuff like this:

Normally, configuration settings are applied to a target server like MySQL or Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP) or WebSphere. However, you might need to have configuration actions performed that are not related to any existing managed channel type. This might involve running a command on a load balancer, opening a port on a firewall system, or creating a registry key on a Windows server. None of these operations deploy actual content, but they might require many configuration changes. This process is performed using action maps. An action map associates an action script with a specific bracketed path. For example, suppose that you have the following action map:

[MyFireWall][Set] => fw_set_config

When the system processes the configuration data, it passes the configuration name and value pairs with the bracketed path to the fw_set_config script. This process enables you to create arbitrary configuration settings, using any bracketed path that initiates scripts on servers.

HUH?

Can anyone tell me what that is supposed to mean?  Where do you use this.  Can any action be called by any arbitrary string of text in square brackets?  When does this execute?  What is the lifespan of the values that are produced?

I repeat: HUH?

Someone please help.  Also, if there is any good documentation of the system, can someone please point me towards it.  I do not like feeling like an idiot and the https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/brpd44/Home pages just leave me ALMOST knowing what I am talking about.

#IAmNotAsDumbAsThisSystemMakesMeAppear.