4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 3:07 AM by Philippe Peter

Do I need a patrol console to configure patrol agent and KM's in version 9.5

Share:|

Do I need a patrol console to configure patrol agent and KM's in version 9.5? Because I need to disable auto restart of services on windows servers.

• 1. Re: Do I need a patrol console to configure patrol agent and KM's in version 9.5

Hi Karthik,

No, PATROL Console is not needed to configure PATROL Agent and KMs in BMC ProactiveNet 9.5. You can use CMA to configure.

You can use any of the following 2 methods to disable auto restart:

1. Create a Windows Services policy in CMA and select Disable Automatic Restart option. This policy when applied will disable auto restart of services globally (for all services). Note: If there are multiple policies created for Windows Services, ensure that the new service policy has higher precedence than the rest of Windows Services policies.

2. Edit an existing Windows Services policy (the one which has highest precedence) in CMA and add a configuration variable. Set the value of the /ServiceMonitoring/DisableServiceRestart configuration variable to 1.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,

Prasoon

• 2. Re: Do I need a patrol console to configure patrol agent and KM's in version 9.5
            Lori Brown

Your use case does not necessarily require the use of the Patrol Console.  However, if you have database KMs (Oracle, SQL, etc.) it can be very difficult to configure through the CMA, especially if you have separate database teams who are used to configuring the KM.

In that case, the Patrol Console is much easier to use.

If you need to add pconfig rules (the "Configuration Variables" page in the policy), those are going to be difficult to create unless you have something like the Patrol Console + Config Manager to figure out what those rules are.

• 3. Re: Do I need a patrol console to configure patrol agent and KM's in version 9.5
              Sebastien Louis

Hi,

I'm agree.

It depends of use case.

With my customer, we use the "customid" parameters which can't be configured with the CMA.

To same applies to arsactions.

Otherwise (that is another topic), i ask myself why the thresholds worn natively in KM are always present with PA 9.5.

B.R.

• 4. Re: Do I need a patrol console to configure patrol agent and KM's in version 9.5

Hello,

You can still use in CMA policies "plain old PCM ruleset" (direct rules you enter manually, and .cfg files you can import).

So I guess you can still use at least the arsaction, and maybe also the customid parameters. Am I wrong ?

Regards