14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 8:08 AM by Ganesh Suresh

disable Service restart in BBPM

Share This:

Hi All,

I am using BPPM 9.501. We have a requirement to use orchestrator, BPPM and remedy to integrate. When a service is stopped BPPM monitors and creates an incident and orchestrator should kick start the service and close the incident. But when a service stopped an incident is getting created but the BPPM agent auto restarts that service and resolves the incident. While creating the monitoring policy it self I selected disable auto restart. Even then BPPM Agent restarts the service. Please let me know how to disable the auto restart for windows services.

• 1. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hi Kar Y,

Can you please let us know is data collection happening using patrol agent?

Regards,

Pankaj J

• 2. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM
            Garland Smith

From what I gather from reading the previous post, it sounds like they are using PATROL to monitor Windows Services and want to find out whether it’s possible to configure Windows Service monitoring in PATROL (the specific question relates to configuring PATROL so that it doesn’t restart services) from a policy in Central Monitoring Administration and if so, how to go about doing that.

Garland Smith

• 3. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hi Karthik,

In this specific case, if you have selected Disable Automatic Restart in the policy, please check the following:

1. Does this policy have the highest precedence among the Windows Services policies? Coz the global values set in the first policy takes precedence over rest of the policy changes. If it does not have the highest precedence then create a Windows Services policy or edit a higher precedence Windows Services policy and set the Disable Automatic Restart option.

2. If the policy has highest precedence and Disable Automatic Restart option is set too, have you selected Restart service when stopped option for individual services being monitored? Clear it if selected.

3. If none of the above mentioned steps solve it, please check the Recovery settings for the services in the Windows operating system.

-Prasoon

• 4. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hi Suresh,

thanks for the reply. I already did check first two options before posting the question here. Can you tell me where can I check the recovery settings in the windows OS.

• 5. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hi Pankaj, please let me know where do i I check if it is collecting the data. I am getting events that the service is stopped, I can see graphical view of service etc(  is this the data collection)

• 6. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hey Smith,

We are using BPPM to monitor windows servers. I deployed Windows server KM and agent in the target windows server. When the service is stopped, BPPM gets the event that the service is stopped and the service is started automatically. This happens for all the services. While creating the monitoring policy I did check do not restart service and did not check auto restart service when stopped.

Thanks,

Karthik

• 8. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

I added these lines in the Site_Role and Primary_Site_Role cfg files in that target host. But still the service gets restarted.

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/DisableServiceRestart" = { REPLACE = "1" },

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/W32Time/Alarm" = { REPLACE = "0" },

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/W32Time/AutoRestart" = { REPLACE = "1" },

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/W32Time/Monitor" = { REPLACE = "0" },

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/W32Time/child_list" = { REPLACE = "" },

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/W32Time/variable_list" = { REPLACE = "Alarm,AutoRestart,Monitor" },

• 9. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hi Kay,

Apply the following rule :

To deactivate a particular service, set the value of the corresponding bit to 0 in  the below ruleset :

/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/ServiceName/SvcConfigVars" = {REPLACE = "0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"}

The comma separated values correspond to the variables in the order as mentioned above.Service Startup Type configuration variable has to be applied along with “SvcConfigVars” variable to override
                        default monitoring.

/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/ServiceName/StartupTypeValue = “Automatic” / “Manual” /“Disabled” (startup type Service).

You can refer to the MS Windows Getting started Guide . Refer to page no : 110 and 218

Thanks

Sriram Iyer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hi Sriram,

Do I need patrol console to configure these variables or can I directly enter them in the cfg files Site_Role and Primary_Site_Role rulesets.

• 11. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hello Kay,

You can directly add them in the cfg files Site_Role and Primary_Site_Role rulesets.

If you have PCM you can add them through PCM also .

Also want to check if you are using CMA for patrol agent 9.5.01

Regards

Sriram Iyer

• 12. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Yes I did add them in the cfg files, but not change in the result.

This is what I added in the cfg files. Also we are using 9.5 Sp1 BPPM version

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/Tomcat6/SvcConfigVars" = {REPLACE = "0,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,0"}

"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/Tomcat6/StartupTypeValue" = "Manual"

• 13. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM

Hello Kar,

Please send us the patrol config :

pconfig +get > c:\temp\config.txt

pconfig +get +D > c:\temp\configdefault.txt

Thanks

Sriram Iyer

• 14. Re: disable Service restart in BBPM
                                  Ganesh Suresh

Hi Kay,

It's good to avoid PCM usage as much as you can!! BMC say's not me

Try this on BPPM CMA:-

Create one Monitoring policy with lowest precedence value as bellow.

3. Change the agent selection criteria as per your needs

Add this on Configuration variables

/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/DisableServiceRestart

set to 1.

Re-do the test and let us know the results.

Thanks,

Ganesh