10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 7:49 AM by Joseph Schuler

BSA Database issue

Derrick Swinarsky

Trying to run some tests in the QA environment, and when we do this we will normally sync up our QA environment to look like our production environment.  So we pulled a backup of our production database and restored our QA database with it (destroyed and recreated our QA database based on the backup of production).  When attempting to restart blappserv it fails with an odd constraint issue:

[08 Aug 2014 09:29:34,820] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] Error installing to Start: name=bladelogic.service.AppServerService state=Create

com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.ServiceInitializationException: com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBException: An error occurred while attempting to access the database:

Message : ORA-00001: unique constraint (BLADELOGIC.XPKBL_VALUE) violated

SQLState: 23000 ErrorCode: 1

I was able to run blappconf to sync up the passwords, but am sure I have missed something.  What have I missed???

• 2. Re: BSA Database issue
          Derrick Swinarsky

Unluckily not...  We had issues connecting to the database, but the blappconf gets past the first page which means it was able to login.  And, we aren't getting the specific error it is giving in the kb.  One of the BMC support tech's is saying that we need to reinstall BladeLogic to be able to do this???

Most likely the tech is going to end up right, and I am going to be wrong...  But it doesn't make sense why as I didn't think there was that much information outside of the database?  And at worst I would think I could run blappconf with the install flag?

• 3. Re: BSA Database issue
            Bill Robinson

How did you export the prod db ?

• 4. Re: BSA Database issue
              Joe Piotrowski

Could this have anything to do with the file server storage not being somewhat in sync with the database?

• 5. Re: BSA Database issue
                Monoj Padhy

I don't find file server sync as a problem. We can modify the file server

location at anytime for an running bsa environment and for sure during that

time database is not in sync with the new file server location. But we can

still have access to bsa.

This must be something related to database issue or may be some user

lockout. A similar scenario is explained in the kb article in my previous

• 6. Re: BSA Database issue
                  Barry McQuillan

Its possible that the Database connection is defined incorrectly in one of the other deployed instances.

When cloning a BSA environment I always have the following step included:

1. Check that all appserver deployments have correct database connection details in: <NSH_DIR>/br/deployments/<instanceName>/services/asDataSourceService.xml

Using blappconf doesn't change all of these files, be especially sure to check:

Check connection string and user.

• 7. Re: BSA Database issue
                    Ruturaj D

Derrick, I wish to ask same question Bill has asked ..

How did you export the prod db ?

Looking at error you posted, which looks similar to error mentioned in below Kb page

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: BSA Database issue
                      Derrick Swinarsky

We opened a ticket with BMC and they also believe the export was done incorrectly.  I believe this is the KB they referenced, but I cannot get access to this KB so I couldn't mark your response as the answer to my question.  Thanks for the information though!

• 9. Re: BSA Database issue
                        Monoj Padhy

Error: Article not found.

Ruturaj D can you post the KB content here ? I think the KB is only for internal use.

• 10. Re: BSA Database issue
                          Joseph Schuler

Knowledge Article

BSA: ORA-00001: unique constraint (BLADELOGIC.XPKBL_VALUE) violated SQLState: 23000 ErrorCode: 1

Knowledge Article ID:  KA396202
                          Version:  1.1
                          Available To:  External
                          Updated:  07/02/2014

LP: BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Suite 8.2.01
                          DR: BMC BladeLogic Database and Migration 8.2.01

Details: BladeLogic Version:
                          Database: Oracle 11g R2

In order to troubleshoot some of our production issues, we restored a backup of our Production Database and File Server in our Dev/QA environment. This environment consists of a single Windows Application Server and a Linux File Server.

After we restored the Database and File Servers are there any other actions/tasks we need to do to get it running our Dev/QA environment?

The Database restore appeared to be successful. The database started up with no problems. When I ran through the Configuration Wizard, there are no problems.

When I start the Application Server for the first time, I get the following Error (full log is attached to this ticket):

[22 Mar 2013 15:45:27,337] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] Error installing to Start: name=bladelogic.service.AppServerService state=Create
                          com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.ServiceInitializationException: com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBException: An error occurred while attempting to access the database:

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.appserver.DefaultAppServerServiceImpl.start(DefaultAppServerServiceImpl.java:439)
                          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                          at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                          at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
                          at org.jboss.joinpoint.plugins.reflect.ReflectMethodJoinPoint.dispatch(ReflectMethodJoinPoint.java:72)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$DispatchJoinPoint.run(KernelControllerContextActions.java:631)
                          at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions.dispatchJoinPoint(KernelControllerContextActions.java:99)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$LifecycleAction.installAction(KernelControllerContextActions.java:452)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$1.run(KernelControllerContextActions.java:156)
                          at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$KernelControllerContextAction.install(KernelControllerContextActions.java:179)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractControllerContextActions.install(AbstractControllerContextActions.java:51)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractControllerContext.install(AbstractControllerContext.java:226)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.install(AbstractController.java:593)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.incrementState(AbstractController.java:346)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.resolveContexts(AbstractController.java:438)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.resolveContexts(AbstractController.java:379)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.install(AbstractController.java:225)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.install(AbstractController.java:151)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.deployment.AbstractKernelDeployer.deployBean(AbstractKernelDeployer.java:291)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.bootstrap.ServiceBeanXMLDeployer.deployBean(ServiceBeanXMLDeployer.java:38)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.deployment.AbstractKernelDeployer.deployBeans(AbstractKernelDeployer.java:261)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.deployment.AbstractKernelDeployer.deploy(AbstractKernelDeployer.java:117)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.deployment.xml.BeanXMLDeployer.deploy(BeanXMLDeployer.java:91)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.bootstrap.ServiceBootstrap.deploy(ServiceBootstrap.java:252)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.bootstrap.ServiceBootstrap.deployService(ServiceBootstrap.java:199)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.bootstrap.ServiceBootstrap.bootstrap(ServiceBootstrap.java:153)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap.run(AbstractBootstrap.java:91)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.bootstrap.ServiceBootstrap.startup(ServiceBootstrap.java:66)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.fw.BlManager.start(BlManager.java:881)
                          at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.fw.BlManager.main(BlManager.java:1401)
                          Caused by: com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBException: An error occurred while attempting to access the database:

Issue Summary: Restoring a Production BladeLogic Database

Please use an export command like this:

expdp / full=y directory=DATA_PUMP_DIR dumpfile=exp_dp${ORACLE_SID}_${EXPORT_DATE}.dmp logfile=${ORACLE_SID}_${EXPORT_DATE}_exp.log flashback_time="\"to_timestamp(to_char(sysdate,'mm-dd-yyyy hh24:mi:ss'), 'mm-dd-yyyy hh24:mi:ss')\""

and then on import either drop all the user objects before import, or specify an option to replace the existing options w/ the imdp command (TABLE_EXISTS_ACTION=REPLACE)