7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 10:40 AM by Gustavo del Gerbo

CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM

Nazim Ahmed

Hi,

We are discovering laptops using ADDM.

These are synchronized to CMDB, however the current behavior is, if the laptop is not discovered for the mentioned days in the ADDM dataset the Markasdelete status is set to "Yes" and therefore the CI status changes to "Delete" in BMC.ASSET dataset.

The requirements is not to set the status as "Delete" in BMC.ASSET if the CI the status is Markasdelete is "Yes" in BMC.ADDM dataset.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Regards,

Nazim.

• 1. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
          Shantanu Ballal

While modifying/merging the data with recon job you can write the precedence group which will have the higher precedence value for MarkAsDeleted attribute for BMC_BaseElement class for BMC Asset dataset.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
            Carey Walker

The change of status to Delete happens through workflow on the Remedy side when you set the Mark As Deleted attribute to Yes. So it's not directly ADDM doing this.

One suggestion as above is to use RE to help manage this (by protecting the existing values for Mark As Deleted in the BMC.ASSET dataset), however this behavior is deliberate and usually required to help manage the CMDB content sensibly. ADDM is helping you understand what is there, it also helping you understand what is no longer there. Normally from the Asset Management point of view this is helpful as a trigger for reports that can be used to highlight items that seem to have disappeared. This may not work for all organisations, but it's the intent behind this workflow.

In the case of laptops especially, this is a harder issue because they are often off the network when the scans run (they are portable devices after all). ADDM will reinstate an item if it is rediscovered later, but again for laptops, they can often appear to have disappeared forever. If you have SCCM in your environment, you can often use something like the Last Login Date and similar attributes for the device to determine if that device is really gone or has just missed the last few ADDM scans. Looking at AD metrics is another similar option.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
              Duncan Grisby

Also, note that ADDM is not intended for the discovery of laptops. It is designed for discovering your data center estate, where servers and network devices and so on are expected to be present almost all of the time. That's why it considers your laptops to be removed if they have not been seen for a while.

The right approach to getting a robust view of your laptops and desktops into the CMDB is to use a tool designed for the task, such as an integration with SCCM, or BMC's AssetCore. AssetCore is available for client discovery as part of the "Discovery Solution", which contains ADDM for your data centers, plus what you need for client discovery.

• 4. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
                Jeff Sikorski

Few years late to this party , but wanted to post under this topic as it seemed most relevant.

I'm running into a similar issue over here, not necessarily with ADDM though.  We have SCCM, ePO, Solarwinds, and a few other tools.

When I Merge MarkAsDeleted = Yes from one of those datasets to BMC.ASSET ... the AssetLifeCycleStatus gets set to "Delete".

It seems like kind of a no-win situation.

I WANT MarkAsDeleted to be "Yes", but I don't want the AssetLifeCycleStatus changed.

I want it MarkAsDeleted = Yes because I want all the relationships to go away.  All the IP addresses, MAC addresses, installed software, etc.

I want it MarkAsDeleted = Yes but if the Status was "Deployed", keep it Deployed.

Carey mentioned:
                The change of status to Delete happens through workflow on the Remedy side when you set the Mark As Deleted attribute to Yes.

Does anyone have any information on how to jump into the "workflow on the Remedy side" and configure it to not change the AssetLifeCycleStatus ?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 5. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
                  Jeff Sikorski

Other alternatives I've thought of already but don't really like:

~Don't merge the MAD 1,, just set the Recon job to Purge first, so it doesn't Merge the MAD1s

Although this works -- it has holes:

It leaves a lot of relationships and CIs (IP addresses, MAC addresses, software) in BMC.ASSET that shouldn't be there

So to counter that, I could write an Atrium Integrator job that will find "orphaned" CIs/Relationships in BMC.ASSET (don't have a ReconID match to another dataset)?  

So it seems like my only 2 options are:
                  A)  Customize remedy workflow where MarkAsDeleted = Yes will also update AssetLIfeCycleStatus = Delete
                  B)  Situation above .. change Purge order in Recon jobs, and write an AI "cleanup job"

Any option C or D's I haven't thought of?

~Jeff

• 6. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
                    Jeff Sikorski

New idea:

Set MarkAsDeleted .. but set the merge precedence level really high for ComputerSystem class only.  That way everything else gets MarkAsDeleted = Yes  (IPs, MACs, Softwares, etc) except the ComputerSystem?

Might be a winner ?

~Jeff

• 7. Re: CMDB 8.1 CI delete status not to be changed - ADDM
                      Gustavo del Gerbo

Jeff, your problem is not the Mark As Deleted and the merge of RE from ADDM to ASSET.

Your problem is specifically the workflow that detonates in ITSM that changes the status to Deployed when MAD is set to YES.

I think this is a question more appropriate to Remedy ITSM application experts.

2 of 2 people found this helpful