6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 1:54 AM by Nitin Lahane

Parent/Child - Incident (Difference between 'related to' / 'duplicate of')

Hi all,

Currently we have the following user request:

The Uer has eight different (Child-) Incidents that are RELATED TO one (Parent-/) Main-Incident.

He asked for the difference between 'related to' and 'duplicate of' AND what happend if he close the Main-Incident.

I tried to find out what's the main difference but i don't get the result as described in the manual:

Duplicate Incidents

1. On the most current (child) incident

2. Leave Status Reason blank

3. Assignee+ value must be selected from the drop-down menu

4. Click on Save button

5. Click on Relationships tab

6. Using the Search drop-down menu select Incident

7. Click on magnifying glass icon

8. A pop-up window will appear - Type in the original (parent) Incident ID+ number

9. Click Search button. The original (parent) incident will be displayed in the lower box

10. Using the Select a Relationship Type drop-down menu highlight Duplicate of

11. Click on Relate button

12. Click on OK

13. Click on Save button

14. Currently no other fields need to be filled in

15. When someone resolves or closes the original (parent) incident, its Operational

and Product Categorizations and Resolution fields are copied to the related

duplicates, marking them with a status of Resolved

Related Incidents

1. On the most current (child) incident

2. Leave Status Reason blank

3. Assignee+ value must be selected from the drop-down menu

4. Click on Save button

5. Click on Relationships tab

6. Using the Search drop-down menu select Incident

7. Click on the magnifying glass icon

8. A pop-up window will appear - Type in the original (parent) Incident ID+ number

9. Click Search button. The original (parent) incident will be displayed in the lower box

10. Using the Select a Relationship Type drop-down menu highlight Related to

11. Click on Relate button

12. Click on OK

13. Click on Save button

14. Currently no other fields need to be filled in

15. When someone resolves or closes the original (parent) incident, its Operational

and Product Categorizations and Resolution fields are copied to the related

incident, marking them with a status of Resolved

The only thing i found out is that:

Duplicate Incidents: Main-Incident closed -> Sub-Incidents closed; Sub-Incidents can't be closed)

Related Incidents: Main-Incident closed -> Sub-Incidents still open; Sub-Incidents closed -> Main-Incident still open)

So, Step 15 isn't completely clear for me. No Operational and Product Categorizations and Resolution fields are copied to the related incidents/ duplicates.

Hopefully that problem is not described too difficult.

Many thanks!

Patrick