6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 9:08 AM by Bill Robinson

[ REGRESSION / BUG ] getNSHScriptParamValues doesn't work anymore

Clement BARRET

Hi,

I used to call the getNSHScriptParamValues method from the NSHScriptJob namespace.

It worked flawlessly on our previous BMC BladeLogic environments (on our 7.6 and our 8.2 SP4 versions).

Now, we migrated to the 8.3 SP2 and this method doesn't work anymore :

blcli_execute "NSHScriptJob" "getDBKeyByGroupAndName" "/Workspace/ENG_BladeLogic/CBA" "NSH_SCRIPT_JOB_TEST"

blcli_storeenv NSHSJ_DBKEY

echo $NSHSJ_DBKEY

DBKey:SJobModelKeyImpl:2029742-1-2226560

blcli_execute Job findByDBKey $NSHSJ_DBKEY

blcli_execute Utility setTargetObject

blcli_execute NSHScriptJob getName

NSH_SCRIPT_JOB_TEST

blcli_execute NSHScriptJob getType

blcli_execute NSHScriptJob getNSHScriptParamValues

java.lang.NullPointerException

I really don't want to rewrite much of my existing code just because of the poor QA process of the the BMC BladeLogic development team.

So, we (ORANGE BUSINESS SERVICES / FRANCE) need this to be fixed ASAP.

Best regards.

PS : Please don't ask me what I need this method for and how to do without it, it was working on the previous BladeLogic versions, it's still there in the undocumented API, I just need it to work as it used to.

• 2. Re: [ REGRESSION / BUG ] getNSHScriptParamValues doesn't work anymore
          Bill Robinson

‘getNSHScriptParamValues’ is, and has always been an ‘unreleased’ command, so it is not guaranteed to work.  there is no qa or support done directly on the ‘unreleased commands’.  so there is no issue of ‘poor QA process’.

I would suggest that you open a ticket w/ support on this if you have no already.

• 3. Re: [ REGRESSION / BUG ] getNSHScriptParamValues doesn't work anymore
            Clement BARRET

Hi @Bill Robinson,

Well, let me tell you something, without this blcli command, much of your own "provided code" dispatched here and there on this community forum is not working at all/anymore. (mostly regarding NSHScriptJob parameters handling).

Very well done, nice move from the BMC designers to have decided to remove this method ! (I suppose -- since there is no flaw in the QA process -- that's actually the case) What's quite "fun" though is that it's still listed in the unreleased commands (auto-generated by a command you start on the application server) even though it's not usable at all/anymore. May be those who decided to do that were too lazy to completely remove the method from the NSHScriptJob namespace and let a broken piece in its place ? No matter the reason, the "official" API is way too poor to be sufficient enough... when you really need to develop things around the BMC BladeLogic services...

So, will you update/fix all of your messages (with code examples) that include this call ? I guess not... So you shouldn't in the first place have given us some code that would be broken in the next release... I know you're the community manager here and you're most often very successful and quite efficient to provide us with applicable answers -- and I appreciate that --, but that one is unacceptable.

I've already opened a ticket and I hope to get some more useful answer than a "It's an unreleased command, don't cry me a river." one...

Our BMC customer relationship partner once told us "If you need an undocumented blcli to become a officially supported one, just ask us and we will include it". I will in this case, for sure.

PS : I've already proven in the past your QA process is broken in multiple ways so there's no point discussing that with you. That's a fact and nobody can deny it.

• 4. Re: [ REGRESSION / BUG ] getNSHScriptParamValues doesn't work anymore
              Bill Robinson

We have not removed anything.  this ‘getNSHScriptParamValues’ has never been a published or released command.  what was the ticket # that you opened for this issue ?

If this command is not used by any of the released commands (which it does not seem to be) then no testing of the released/published blcli commands would ever test it.  that is why the ‘unreleased’ commands are always ‘use at your own risk’ which is noted: https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-8922

Did you submit a rfe / idea to have this command flagged as released ?  if so do you have the QM # ?  I don’t see anything like this in our tracking system after a quick search.

• 5. Re: [ REGRESSION / BUG ] getNSHScriptParamValues doesn't work anymore
                Clement BARRET

@Bill Robinson :

Bill Robinson a écrit:

We have not removed anything.  this ‘getNSHScriptParamValues’ has never been a published or released command.  what was the ticket # that you opened for this issue ?

[...]

Did you submit a rfe / idea to have this command flagged as released ?  if so do you have the QM # ?  I don’t see anything like this in our tracking system after a quick search.

- The customer support is already handling the ticket I opened.

- I've not opened a "RFE/IDEA" yet because I didn't expect such an answer. I will soon though, once I've found the original email telling us we could do so.

Welll, since I also found this call in one of your own script (which was quite nicely written imho), I will ask you something :

How would you replace/modify one or more parameters's values of a NSHScriptJob without this call ?

(here is the link to your own script : https://communities.bmc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/22465-1-31477159/changeNSHParameter.nsh )

I used to follow almost the same process as the one described in your script. Now... I'm really stuck.

Regards

• 6. Re: [ REGRESSION / BUG ] getNSHScriptParamValues doesn't work anymore
                  Bill Robinson

right - in that case it looks like the npe makes the script fail - so i think there should be a couple things here:

1 - an idea/rfe for a command that spits out all the values of the nsh parameters based on the job path or something like that.

2 - a defect for the npe.

the issue w/ the 'unreleased' commands is that not all of the unreleased commands get used by 'released' commands, and in that case (as is the case here) the underlying commands would never get tested.  that's why these have always been 'use at your own risk'.

i talked to the support engineer for your case and we'll open a defect for the npe and see about scheduling - we'll follow up there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful