3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 2:27 AM by Akbar Aziz

RHEL LVM creation

Raja Mohan

I want to be able to discover available disks within a provisioned RHEL server, I am thinking of a post provisioning batch job with a NSH script to discover all available disks, exclude the active boot disk, parse through each one of the available disks and then

1. pvcreate
      2. pvdisplay (validation)
      3. vgcreate
      4. vgdisplay (validation)
      5. vgscan
      6. lvcreate
      7. lvdisplay (validation)
      8. lvscan
      9. mkfs
      10. mount
      11. df -h (validation)
      12. cp fstab to fstab.old
      13. update fstab for new mount
      14. mount to display all the mount (validation)

Just wondering if there is any other nifty way within BSA (live browse or other methods) to perform this. Any insight is appreciated.

• 1. Re: RHEL LVM creation
          Akbar Aziz

Are you trying to create the lvm after the initial provisioning is done? Why not just put it as part of the kickstart configuration when provisioning the server via BSA?

• 2. Re: RHEL LVM creation
            Raja Mohan

Atleast one thought is I would like to ensure during provisioning It is using the drive I intend to be the boot partition. So want to leave the data disk not created and create it during post provisioning.

• 3. Re: RHEL LVM creation
              Akbar Aziz

You could add this flag:

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda

Here is an example of a LVM using kickstart in my environment:

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda

clearpart --all --drives=sda

part /boot --fstype ext4 --size=256 --ondisk=sda

part pv.01 --size=32768 --grow --ondisk=sda

volgroup VolGroup00 pv.01

logvol / --fstype ext4 --name=root-lv --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=4098

logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap-lv --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=4098

logvol /usr --fstype ext4 --name=usr-lv --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=4098

logvol /tmp --fstype ext4 --name=tmp-lv --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=4098

logvol /var --fstype ext4 --name=var-lv --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=4098

logvol /opt --fstype ext4 --name=opt-lv --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=4098