7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 12:52 PM by Omkar Karavade

Application/Job Server Sizing

Omkar Karavade

Hi Experts,

I have gone through the documents on BBSA and have some basic questions. I have searched but couldn't get much information on these questions. Are there any different documents available for this other that the online documentations that we have. Can anybody put some light on this. My questions are:

As per the documents a physical server with 2 CPU Cores and 8-10 GB of memory can host several times the total number of WIT's that can run in a single application server. Also, it is mentioned that 100 work item threads for 64 bit application servers are recommended. So,

• How is the calculation for Work Item Threads is done
      • How may WIT's a single job with say 100 targets will generate
      • Is there any limitation on how many job a single application server with the above mentioned configuration can run parallel with say 100 targets in each job
      • Is there any limitation on how many targets a single job can have

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
          Don Kim

That will depend on many factors such as what type of WIT (lightweight, blexec) what kind of job, arch, and how your app servers are configured among other things.

Check out "Job execution framework" and "Sizing and scalability factors" in the installation documentation.

• 2. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
            Bill Robinson

out of the box you have a setting of 20 maxjobs.  that means 20 jobs can be running concurrently, any jobs started after 20 will be in a 'waiting to run' state until one of the other jobs finishes.

each job has targets.  acting on a target consumes a WIT.  so if you have the appserver set to 100 WIT it means that for all your running jobs, there can be 100 targets acted on in parallel at any given time.  so those 20 jobs are 'competing' for the 100 WIT if there are more targets than WIT.  there's a priority setting on the job otherwise i believe it's first-come, first-serve.

so it's kind of irrelevant what the max jobs is set to - you could set that to 10000 but if you have 100 WIT you are always going to be waiting on WIT to free up so the job can actually process the targets.  a single job can have as many targets as you want but of course it can only hit as many servers concurrently as there are available WIT.

100 WIT is the max based on in house testing we've done, mainly compliance jobs seem to have issues > 100 WIT, so if you never will run compliance jobs you might be able to go > 100 WIT but we haven't done extensive testing on that so i can't give any recommendations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
              Omkar Karavade

That was bang on Bill....Thanks a lot....that clarified a lot of things for me.

Now as you said 100 WIT is the max you have tested. So, is it with the standard configuration mentioned in the documents? I mean with 2 CPU cores and 8-10 GB memory.  If yes, can I double the WIT's i.e to 200 if I have a server with say 4 CPU cores and 16 GB memory?

I won't be running any compliance job; I would only be running patch analysis and deployment job. But looking at the no. of servers and patching/maintenance windows running a job only against 100 targets at a time will be a challenge for me.

Also as per my understanding on the Advanced Repeater the bandwidth throttling feature does not exist from AR to the targets. It is only from Advanced File Server. Is it true? Because all my servers are located remotely thus I was looking for the bandwidth throttling option from the AR.

• 4. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
                Bill Robinson

the most we have tested and recommend right now is a x64 jvm w/ 4-6gb of heap and 100 WIT.  if you want more WIT, add another appserver instance of type JOB.  if you box has 16gb of memory you should be able to run 2 appserver instances on there.  you can try bumping up the 100 wit to higher but we have not done extensive testing w/ that so i'm not sure if you would run into other issues or not.  also - there is a 1:2 relationship between the maxwit and the 'maxjobexecutionconnections' in the database section, so if you have 100 wit, you should have 200 maxjobexecutionconnections.

one thing you might want to consider w/ the patching is raising the 'maxjobs' - because many of the deploy jobs will have a single target, and w/ the default max jobs you'd be throttling yourself to 20 targets in parallel...

for the ARS - the ARS typically will sit at the remote site, so i'm not sure what good the bandwidth throttling will do between the ARS and the target, the place you would need to throttle is between the AFS and ARS.  but that's moot because patch payloads don't go through the AFS.

if you need to throttle bandwidth for patches you can use a regular repeater and some os-level settings:ARS on the cheap

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
                  Omkar Karavade

The main reason why I am looking at throttling the bandwidth between the ARS and the target is I have no. of servers distributed say per zone/region and I won't be able to deploy a ARS at every site. So the plan was to keep a ARS at a major site per region and then deploy the patches by staging them in ARS for the remaining sites in the region.

Now, with your clarification I think I will have to change the whole plan and think of something else.

• 6. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
                    Bill Robinson

You could use normal repeater and setup the os level throttling from the repeater to the targets.

• 7. Re: Application/Job Server Sizing
                      Omkar Karavade

Yes sure Bill....Thanks a lot for all your help and inputs. Marking this as answered now. Thanks once again.