1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 7:30 AM by Prakash Patel

Deploying an Installshield package

Prakash Patel

I have created a custom software package to deploy an installshield package.

the string that i am providing is - "??SOURCE??" /S /v" /qn ALLUSERS=1" /v/qn

The installation completes on the target but i can not see the application via add/remove programs (i can see it via live browse -> applications in the console)

I can install the application on the target fine with the above command.

The installation works fine if i use Automation Principles (with the user Administrator) and i can see it in the add/remove programs, however i don't want to use AP as the Administrator password can differ on different machines.

On the target my exports file has:

APPSERVER     rw,user=Administrator

my users.local has:

BLAdmins:BLAdmin     rw,map=Administrator

user file is currently empty as i am running the job as BLAdmins:BLAdmin.

Is there something that i am missing here.

• 1. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
          Joe Piotrowski

Some suggestions:

Edit you exports file to something like

APPSERVER     rw

Adding the user=Administrator at the end maps anyone not listed in your users or users.local files to the local Administrator account.

Are you basically stating that everything works as intended if you run that with a domain account (AP) through BSA and if you install this locally? I assume when you run this locally you're logged into the server with a domain account as well?

You can try adding this syntax to get a more detailed log file to troubleshoot:

/L*V C:\temp\rscd_install.log

I also don't understand the " " you have in that string. Also try removing the ALLUSERS=1 argument as a test.

• 2. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
            Prakash Patel

In AP i didn't use domain credentials, i just used Administrator for testing purpose.

Yes works fine when i log into the target as administrator and run the command.

• 3. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
              Bill Robinson

How do you know the install has completed ?

• 4. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                Prakash Patel

I can see it in the add/remove programs.

When i am executing the job using "??SOURCE??" /S /v" /qn ALLUSERS=1" /v/qn the job completes and looks like its completed the install but i cant see it in the add/remove programs (when logged in as Administrator).

When i do run it using the AP (as local administrator), the deployment completes and i can see it in add/remove programs.

• 5. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                  Bill Robinson

so how do you know it's installed when run through blade ?

what's in the bldeploy log from that run ?

what's in the application install log (as joe suggested) when run through blade ?

• 6. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                    Prakash Patel

If i go to the live browse of that server through the console and i can see it under Applications.

below is from the rscd.log

06/18/14 19:35:02.578 INFO1    rscd -  192.168.174.85 2940 BladeLogicRSCD@BDSSA85->Administrator@BDSSA85:PrivilegeMapped (BLAdmins:BLAdmin): CM: > [Deploy] Copying '//BL85/c/storage/blpackages/2c5a8920-15b9-4eaf-bfc3-c02b5b09ffbf' to '//bdssa85/tmp/stage/24dc02896be53c089d2cbd23df13b3d8'

06/18/14 19:35:09.438 INFO1    rscd -  192.168.174.85 2820 BladeLogicRSCD@BDSSA85->Administrator@BDSSA85:PrivilegeMapped (BLAdmins:BLAdmin): CM: > [Deploy] Job 'CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe' is applying

Below from bldeploy log

06/18/14 19:35:13.000 INFO     bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] Processing asset CUSTOMSOFTWARE

06/18/14 19:35:13.000 INFO     bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] Executing command: ""52.1\CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe" /S /v" /qn ALLUSERS=1" /v/qn"

06/18/14 19:35:13.000 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] chdir to PkgDir: 'C:\tmp\stage\24dc02896be53c089d2cbd23df13b3d8\'

06/18/14 19:35:13.000 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] exeFullPath = (null), CmdLine = "C:\tmp\stage\24dc02896be53c089d2cbd23df13b3d8\bldeploycmd.1.bat", workingDir = NULL

06/18/14 19:35:25.969 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] In RunProcess: exitCode = 0

06/18/14 19:35:25.969 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] chdir to PkgDir: 'C:\'

06/18/14 19:35:25.969 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] Apply for assetName 'CUSTOMSOFTWARE' returned '1'

06/18/14 19:35:25.969 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] force rollback flag set to '0'

06/18/14 19:35:25.969 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] Writing rollback entries

06/18/14 19:35:25.969 DEBUG    bldeploy - [1][CrystalReportsXIRuntime.exe] Storing software payload for rollback

06/18/14 19:35:26.094 DEBUG    bldeploy - Package items were processed

06/18/14 19:35:26.094 INFO     bldeploy - Apply Succeeded

06/18/14 19:35:26.110 DEBUG    bldeploy - Updating Package Tracking

06/18/14 19:35:26.110 INFO     bldeploy - Registering DDA plugin

06/18/14 19:35:26.110 INFO     bldeploy - Registered DDA plugin

• 7. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                      Bill Robinson

Ok, so I’m confused.  if you install via bsa, using an AP, you can live browse the ‘applications’ and see your app listed, but if you go look in ‘add/remove programs’ directly on the target, you don’t see your application ?

• 8. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                        Bill Robinson

You re-freshed the add/remove ?

• 9. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                          Prakash Patel

Sorry, if i use AP, i see the application installed via live browse -> applications and from add/remove programs on the target.

If i dont use AP, then i can still see the application installed via live browse -> applications, but i dont see it in the add/remove programs on the target.

Yes i have tried refreshing the add/remove programs (and a reboot after install to be sure...).

• 10. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                            Bill Robinson

When you look in add/remove programs what user are you logged in as ?

• 11. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                              Prakash Patel

local Administrator

• 12. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                                Prakash Patel

I tried deploying this package to the BL app server and that worked fine via BL, so its a problem with running it against remote servers.

• 13. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                                  Bill Robinson

There should be no difference between the two (atleast on the bsa side) – the deploy follows the same path – the rscd agent…   does your appserver and target have the same rscd agent version?  are they mapped to the same account or an account w/ similar rights ?

• 14. Re: Deploying an Installshield package
                                    Aryan Anantwar

Which software you are trying to deploy?

Target OS Version?

BSA AppServer version?

Target RSCD version?

Regards,

Aryan Anantwar

1 2 Previous Next