1 2 3 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 8:57 PM by russ mcdowell

Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard

Neil Karani

This discussion page will be used by BMC Health and Value Dashboard team for coordinating questions, issues, feedback and tips for the BladeLogic Server Automation Health and Value Dashboard.

We request community users who have a  need to collaborate on the topic of BladeLogic Health and Value Dashboard use this page to post questions, feedback and other requests.

The way to submit the feedback, question or issue is to to just reply and type your response. We will respond on the same page.

Neil

• 1. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
          Bill Robinson
          • when i extract the zip, it would be nice if all the files were in a directory instead of dumping files all over the cwd
          • i specified the --no_tomcat option and i still see messages about configuring tomcat
          • i specified the --no_tomcat option, where is the output ?
          • why do we need to pass the user. password, and role in the nsh job ?  that should be overridden when you run the job.
          • i don't think we should put the dashboard stuff on the appserver, or atleast not in the appserver install dir.
          • if we have bdssa, why not use that tomcat ?  why do we even need tomcat here if we are service up dynamic content?  a simple python or any webserver should suffice.
          • if i do standalone, what report file should i load ?  i think you should call the page 'index.html'
          • when i run the configure_dashboard, i pass my role, but then i'm prompted for the role again.
          • the tomcat setup complains about the java_home, since we are running this on the appserver, why don't we automatically setup tomcat to use the appserver's java ?  (it's missing the apr)
          • i ran the script again to use tomcat, and after doing that and starting tomcat i get:

May 14, 2014 7:36:46 PM com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet initDashboardContent

SEVERE: Failed to locate index file : this can happen if file Dashboard service is not configured properly or no data available to be displayed

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /root/dashboard/Tomcat/webapps/dashboard/latestReportMetaInf.tmp_bck (No such file or directory)

at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet.readLocalPropFile(DashboardServlet.java:293)

at com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet.initDashboardContent(DashboardServlet.java:167)

at com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet.service(DashboardServlet.java:66)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:723)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:861)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:606)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

May 14, 2014 7:36:46 PM com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet doGet

SEVERE: Failed to locate index file : this can happen if file Dashboard service is not configured properly or no data available to be displayed java.io.FileNotFoundException: /root/dashboard/Tomcat/webapps/dashboard/latestReportMetaInf.tmp (No such file or directory)

• 2. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
            Mark Jeffery

I agree with a lot of Bill's comments.

I am also getting

Command execution failed. com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.factory.CommandNotFoundException: Found command 'NSHScript.addNSHScriptToDepotByGroupName' but with mismatching arguments. : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong number of arguments provided to method : addNSHScriptToDepotByGroupName expected : 5 received : 6

Error occurred while executing blcli, please check output.log file. Exiting...

bl-appserver%

during installation on an 8.3.01 app server.

I shall try upgrading to 8.5.

what are the exact version numbers allowed?

• 3. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
              Robert Stinnett

Got it installed, but the data it is displaying is way off.  It says out BBDSA DB is over 10TB in size; that 115% of our agents have been touched in the past 30 days; etc. etc.

• 4. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                Hemal Shah

We have upload the version 1.0.00 which contains changes for defect fixes and feedback we received. Please download and install the version. If you have previously tried the alpha version, please delete the BSA Dashboard script and job before installing the version.

• 5. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                  Steffen Kreis

Hi,

my installation attempt on a fresh BSA 8.5 env looks like this:

sv123456% nsh configure_dashboard.nsh BLAdmin BLAdmins local sv1234567

Enter password for the user BLAdmin :

Acquiring credentials...

Authentication succeeded: acquired session credential

Trying to connect to Appserver as configured by the cached credentials, please wait ...

BSA Version : 8.5.00

Value dashboard script copied to the BDSSA server

May 16, 2014 3:12:24 PM org.apache.axis.utils.JavaUtils isAttachmentSupported

WARNING: Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart). Attachment support is disabled.

Importing archive BSA Value Dashboard... Please wait...

Successfully imported ::BSA Value Dashboard

Generating the Value dashboard reports

May 16, 2014 3:12:48 PM org.apache.axis.utils.JavaUtils isAttachmentSupported

WARNING: Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart). Attachment support is disabled.

null

Value dashboard configured on the BDSSA server

Adding BSA Dashboard Script to Depot

Command execution failed. com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.util.BlException: ./DashboardScript.nsh is not a valid local file/directory

Error occurred while executing blcli, please check output.log file. Exiting...

• 6. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                    Hemal Shah

is it a windows or a linux machine ??

Also can you check what permissions you see for DashboardScript.nsh file

• 7. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                      Steffen Kreis

Hi,

this is on a W2k8 box.

The permissions are "-rw-rw-rw"

Steffen

• 8. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                        Steffen Kreis

Hi,

is was able to complete the installation by modifying one line in the script.

I had to change:

SCRIPT_LOCATION=`dirname "${0}"`

to

SCRIPT_LOCATION=`pwd`

Beforehand "SCRIPT_LOCATION" just included "." ,which resulted in the path ./DashboardScript.nsh for the blcli import command which failed.

After the change from above, the blcli now use the fully-qualified path to the script which works.

Just running the NSH-Script Job in BSA for the first time.

Steffen

• 9. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                          Steffen Kreis

After all those tweaks,

i managed to get it to a state where "DashBoard-Content"  is copied to the Tomcats webapps folder.

dash.png

However it seems to be missing an "Home.html", which results in a non-working Web-Page.

Any ideas ?

Steffen

• 10. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                            Newton Nyante

Couple items:

* the Feedback/Docs/Download links in the top-right of the Dashboard should open in a new tab by default

* the colunm width should be configurable when viewing sub-section detail, such as the "Jobs" view.  By default data displayed within a column may be truncated.

• 11. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                              Johannes Richter

Installation was successful (including tomcat).

Job Run was successful as well.

When I try to access http://<server>:8080/dashboard I get redirected to ERROR.html which is showing a blank page.

I checked the contents of ../webapps/dashboard and it only contains WEB-INF and META-INF.

AppServer & Dashboard are running on Linux.

• 12. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                                Steffen Kreis

Hi Johannes,

the way i understand this works is:

- The NSH Jobs creates the Report-Resukts on the File-Server

- The Tomcat pulls the Reports from the File-Server inside its webapps/dashboard folder using NSH

Due to that the User that runs the Tomcat, needs to be granted access to the File-Server agent.

Check the File-Servers rscd.log, when you luanch the Dashboard Website in the Portal to see what's going on.

Steffen

• 13. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                                  Johannes Richter

Hi Steffen,

thanks for your feedback. Looks like there is no issue with the access privileges.

But I found some errors in the catalina.out log file:

May 22, 2014 1:42:16 PM com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet execute

INFO: cmd: blasadmin -s _template show fileserver name | grep name | cut -f2- -d: | tr -d '[:cntrl:]'

May 22, 2014 1:42:20 PM com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet updateFileServerInfo

SEVERE: Failed fetching Fileserver name  from _template using blasadmin command. Specify value in config.properties

May 22, 2014 1:42:20 PM com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet updateFileServerInfo

SEVERE: VMBSA8500

SEVERE: /root/.bladelogic grants non-owner access.

/root/.bladelogic grants non-owner access.

May 22, 2014 1:42:20 PM com.bladelogic.webservices.dashboard.DashboardServlet initDashboardContent

SEVERE: Failed to get the retrieve file server details .

When I execute the command manually inside the bash:

[root@VMBSA8500 .bladelogic]# blasadmin -s _template show fileserver name | grep name | cut -f2- -d: | tr -d '[:cntrl:]'

VMBSA8500[root@VMBSA8500 .bladelogic]#

So I think the lines "/root/.bladelogic grants non-owner access." are causing the problem. Any idea where they come from?

Edit: I found this communities thread /root/.bladelogic grants non-owner access which helped me to solve the issue.

Now the line /root/.bladelogic grants non-owner access is not showing up any more and the report is visible in the browser.

Thanks!

• 14. Re: Feedback Page for BladeLogic Dashboard
                                    Johannes Richter

Feedback to the dashboard:

* on the homepage change headings of the blocks (e.g. Application Servers, Database Server, etc.) to link to the appropriate section

* Advanced Options: instead of using pop up integrate them to the main page (as done for all other sections)

* content of some columns is truncated - add possibility to change size of columns

* add "Home" link to the horizontal navigation bar (e.g. Home > Application Servers > ServerXYZ)

* if BDSSA/Portal etc. are not configured remove them from navigation bar and "Home" page

* add kind of message box to the "Home" page showing current "Alerts" and "Warnings", make it possible to hide/minimize it

* What is the use case having the "Download" button in the upper right corner?

* Ability to use an existing tomcat installation or install tomcat on a server different than BSA server.

HTH!

1 2 3 Previous Next