7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 9:45 AM by Bill Robinson

Back Up of BSA Environment

Suresh Kesanakurthi

Hi All

I need to take back up for whole BSA environment.

What are the necessary files and folders to be considered ?

• 1. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
          Bill Robinson

file server content

any location you put custom scripts if not in the above

you could also dump 'blasadmin show all' to a file and keep it

i'm working on a doc page for this info, hopefully i'll have time to finish that soon.

• 2. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
            Joe Piotrowski

I will typically also back up the:

.../rsc directory

.../deployments directory

• 3. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
              Raja Mohan

Bill Robinson I sure would be interested in such a checklist

• 4. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
                Bill Robinson

can you see this:

it's pretty high level right now:

The BladeLogic Schema should be backed up using your preferred database backup software.

File Server

Backup the entire directory shown in the blasadmin show file location output using your preferred file backup software. 

Note that the Database and File Server backups should be correlated

Application Server

<install dir>/NSH/br/deployments/*/bladelogic.keystore (however these files should be identical)

<install dir>/NSH/share/sensors

<install dir>/NSH/scripts

<install dir>/NSH/br/blappserv_krb5.conf, <install_dir>/NSH/br/blappserv_login.conf (only if AD or Domain login is enabled)

Any custom files not stored in the File Server Location

There are a couple ways to to backup the appserver configuration - backup the files that makeup the configuration, or dump the configuration to a file for later restore via a script.

File Based Approach

Backup the <install dir>/NSH/br/deployments directory.  Note that these files are unique per application server host and contain hostname specific settings.

Script Based Approach

Run blasadmin -s <deployment name> show all > /tmp/<deployment name>.txt periodically and backup these files.  Obviously the location of the file can be somewhere other than tmp, but should not be in the <install dir>/NSH or any sub directories.  The benefit to this approach is that the configuration could be restored to a different physical server.

Restore the BladeLogic schema using your preferred database backup software

File Server

Restore the file server contents using your preferred database backup software.

Application Server

Install the same version of the application server into the same directory location, do not run the blappconf post-installation wizard if prompted. 

Restore the files backed up to their original locations

File Based Approach

Restore the <install dir>/NSH/br/deployments files and directories to their original locations, overwriting what is there.

Script Based Approach

Run a script to create and configure the various application server deployments based on the backed up configurations.

After restoration is completed start up the application server services.

• 5. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
                  Raja Mohan

Bill Robinson I get a page error on the link

You cannot view this page

Page level restrictions have been applied that limit access to this page.

• 6. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
                    Joe Piotrowski

Raja, depending on who you are you will need to contact the following for assistance:

BMC Employee: helpdesk@bmc.com

BMC Partner: partner_network@bmc.com

BMC Customer: customer_care@bmc.com

• 7. Re: Back Up of BSA Environment
                      Bill Robinson

i pasted the content of the page in my post...