8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 10:37 AM by Rick Westbrock

Assigning fixed licenses

Share This:

I am looking for a way to view login activity/frequency and connection times on an individual level as well as an overall server level.  I am trying to determine the most active users in order to hand out fixed licenses.  Is there a way to view this information?  I am already aware of the "License Review" area under AR System Administration Console > Application > User/groups/roles.  Is there any other areas to get more detailed information about user activity and/or license usages activity?

Thanks,

Josh

• 1. Re: Assigning fixed licenses

User logs will also helpful to you to get this information.

• 2. Re: Assigning fixed licenses
            Praveen Kumar Tiwari

As for as license usage ,activity tracking , you can use one of the tool which you can find in below URL and see if it can help you.

www.wave-form.com

Regards

Praveen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Assigning fixed licenses
              Rick Westbrock

I can't say enough good things about RRR|License. I used it back at a previous company in about 2010 or so with no ITSM (just AR System licenses) and it really saved us money on licensing since it took the headache out of moving users between fixed and floating licenses based on actual usage patterns. I was able to shift users around instead of purchasing more licenses.

The tool is extremely easy to use, just turn on user logging on your server and grab a couple of weeks worth of data to upload to the tool. You can even use it for free to get an idea of what it can do, then purchase the full version to get the feature which tells you exactly which users need to have which license type. Misi Mladoniczky please correct me if I have stated anything incorrect above.

If you have a decent number of licenses then the cost of the tool will more than pay for itself in helping you optimize your current licenses and make informed decisions if you need to purchase more. I have no connection to the vendor except being a very satisfied customer who likes to rave about their product BTW.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Assigning fixed licenses
                Jason Miller

I have never been an RRR|License customer however I have never heard anything bad about it and EVERYBODY I have talked to said it paid for itself over and over again.

There is also the MPS tool (see: Re: How have you managed Remendy 7.x license use?).  I have some experience with this and it also shows your top/bottom floating/fixed users as well as how close you get to your max configured allocation.

The two tools take a little different approaches.  RRR|License analyzes log files while the MPS product is a process that runs on a server (not necessarily your Remedy server) and collects live data.  I recommend checking both RRR|License and missingpiecessoftware.

• 5. Re: Assigning fixed licenses

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful answers and contributions.  At my current work situation, I do not believe I will be granted permission to add/use/purchase any additional software for this task due to network and security restrictions.  I just wanted to make sure I was exhausting all possible abilities to view/monitor this type of thing from the Remedy application itself.

• 6. Re: Assigning fixed licenses

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful answers and contributions.  At my current work situation, I do not believe I will be granted permission to add/use/purchase any additional software for this task due to network and security restrictions.  I just wanted to make sure I was exhausting all possible abilities to view/monitor this type of thing from the Remedy application itself.

• 7. Re: Assigning fixed licenses
                      Misi Mladoniczky

Hi,

I just want to add that using RRR|License will not require that you install anything on you network, as it leverages the built in log files of your system.

There is also an offline installer you can install on a standalone PC to perform the analysis rather than uploading your log files to our server. The only thing you need to do is get the log file to that PC.

The free version of RRR|License allows you to do overall statistics on the server level, including optimization and seeing the best mix of fixed/floating license requirement for your system.

Best Regards - Misi, RRR AB, http://rrr.se

• 8. Re: Assigning fixed licenses
                        Rick Westbrock

As a happy customer using RRR|License I can say that it is extremely easy to configure, use and then implement the changes suggested by the tool. In a previous engagement I was able to optimize usage of current licenses and safely advise management that we did not in fact need to buy more licenses, just rebalance the ones we already owned. The cost of the software was more than offset in the savings in not buying more licenses.