8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 2:20 PM by Tom Stump

    BBSA Verify Server Failing

      I am having issues verifying and live browsing a server within BBSA. The server has an agent installed and running. The agent version and the BBSA app server are running the same version of 8.2. The server is a RHEL 6 server and has 3 NIC's attached. We have compared the exports and users.allow files to that of a fully functional and BBSA enrolled RHEL 6 VM and they appear the same. We have also confirmed that port 4750 is open as well. As a last ditch effort we tried re-installing the agent to no avail. @@Any idea of other areas we can look to get this issue resolved?

        • 1. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
          Bill Robinson

          what kind of errors do you get?


          what's in the rscd.log on the target when this happens ?


          can you run an 'agentinfo' from the appserver to the target from the nsh shell ?

          • 2. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
            Tom Stump

            Hi Bill,


            So when we try to add the host in BBSA with its FQDN, we are getting an error: "Failed to connect to (hostname) on port 4750". However, when we try to add it with the IP address of the host, it will successfully add to BBSA. I'm led to believe that this is a network issue somewhere on the host since there is nothing that appears in the logs on the host and all the bladelogic files on the host seem to be correct. We are currently troubleshooting the issue.

            • 3. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
              Don Kim

              My first thought is that it sounds like a name resolution issue. Are you able to resolve the hostname to the correct interface?

              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
                Daniel Tharby

                If you can add using IP then it appears to be a static route issue on the target server.


                Have you checked that DNS is configured correctly for the FQDN as it is possible it is pointing to the wrong IP.?


                Have you used the local hosts file on the BSA app server to override DNS




                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
                  Barry McQuillan

                  I agree with Don Kim .


                  This sounds like a DNS resolution issue.

                  From the appserver command line run a nslookup of the FQDN.


                  The appserver has to be able to resolve the server name locally.

                  • 6. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
                    Tom Stump

                    Hi Guys,


                    Thanks for the responses. After troubleshooting a little bit, turns out it WAS a DNS issue. Originally, the FQDN that we were trying to add in BBSA was resolving to two IP addresses. So we went into DNS and were able to remove the pointer and reverse lookup records, narrowing it down to one IP address for that FQDN. We confirmed through the "nslookup" command that the one IP was now associated with the FQDN. But when we tried to add it to BBSA it was still failing.


                    Then I read online that apparently java stores cached values of DNS records on the system. So even if DNS records were changed, the BBSA program will not notice the changes since the old values are cached. So I simply rebooted the BBSA server. After that I was able to successfully add it to BBSA. Thanks again for the responses.




                    • 7. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
                      Bill Robinson

                      You can change the caching time of the bsa appserver in the ‘java.security’ file – eg NSH/br/java/lib/security/java.security – there are some ttl settings in there.  those will be picked up next time you restart the appserver service.

                      • 8. Re: BBSA Verify Server Failing
                        Tom Stump

                        Hi Bill,


                        Thanks for that info. I was wondering where that java.security file was on the bsa server. Apparently there should be a value named networkadress.cache.ttl which you can edit to change the caching time.