7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 8:27 AM by Dermot Bates

Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.

Running BL 8.2

I am trying to run the Compliance Template for RedHat 6 on BL 8.2.
      Both Windows2012 and RedHat Templates have been installed recently.
      Windows2012 works fine and while the RedHat Template runs without
      any errors, it is showing most items as non compliant, even though
      I know they are compliant.

As an example:
      1.1.1 Create Seperate Partition for tmp is returning "Open" as
      opposed to the expected "Not a Finding".

Can anyone help please.
      1. Where can I find the extended object entry to check what commands
         it is running to get a result of "Open"?
         It hasn't been automatically loaded into the "Config Object Dictionary View" and
         when I go to edit it in the Compliance template, there is no text/other as part
         of a scipt.
      2. Has anyone else run into this issue.

• 2. Re: Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.
          Bill Robinson

open the rule in the template, in the rule conditions it should reference the extended object.  then go look in the local template parts for that extended object or the config object dictionary.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.

thank you for that - I was looking in parts.

My next step is to find out what I have wrong on the server for rule 1.1.1.

In /etc/fstab, /tmp is defined.

# grep " /tmp " /etc/fstab

/dev/mapper/vg_isnmgmvt1-lv_tmp /tmp                    ext4    defaults        1 2

The extended object of

scriptutil -d "??TARGET.STAGING_DIR??" -h "??TARGET.NAME??"

-s eo_common_code lib_filehandling lib_utils EO-Mount eo_executer

-x -maxdisplay "??MAX_DISPLAY??" -eotimeout "??EO_TIMEOUT??"

-maxinfolines "??MAX_INFO_LINES??" -rscddir "??TARGET.RSCD_DIR??"

-ruleid "1.1.1" -remdirprefix "CIS" -filename "/etc/fstab" -mountpoint "/tmp

is retrieving the incorrect setting of "Open"

Can anyone help on this please.

thanks again

• 4. Re: Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.
              Joe Piotrowski

I won't have CIS content installed for another couple of days (we're upgrading our environment first) so I can't verify/troubleshoot this yet. If you think this is a defect, I would open a Support ticket. They can verify this and open a defect and/or resolve this for you if it's not functioning properly.

• 5. Re: Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.

thank you for that but I was advised by our BMC contact to raise
                it as an open topic here to see if anyone else had encountered the
                same results.

I don't think there is an issue with the Compliance Template, but
                I am trying to figure out what checks the extended objects are running which
                might be different in setting/other to the CIS Benchmark commands listed in the CIS document.

A few months ago, I created compliance Templates for RedHat, AIX, Solaris 10&11
                Suse and HPUX - These are done in a roundabout way.
                Basically, I took every command from the CIS Benchmark docs and created an
                executable script for each OS to capture results in a temporary output file.
                A Component Template was then created to check each result output.

Within BL, I then had the folowing batch job for each OS.
                1. A File Deploy job to push the script to the relevant server(s).
                   - Post commands within the file deploy job to check that the script was
                   valid using cksum.
                   - Execute the script on the server to capture output to an output file.
                2. Discovery job in case new servers had been added.
                3. Compliance job to check the results from the output file.

As a random example: 1.1.18
                Within the script we have the following.. as taken from CIS Benchmark.
                ## 1.1.18 Disable Mounting of cramfs Filesystems
                ## ## Expected result. install /bin/true and null
                check1=`/sbin/modprobe -n -v cramfs`
                check2=`/sbin/lsmod | grep cramfs`
                echo 1.1.18a $check1 >> $OUTPUT
                echo 1.1.18b $check2 >> $OUTPUT

The Compliance Template then checks that 1.1.18a exists within the
                output file and that value1 for 1.1.18a is install and value2 is /bin/true.

If I manually go onto the server and run all the commands from the CIS
                Benchmark, I know the server I am using to test is close to 100% compliant.
                However when I run the BMC Template, my compliance is down to 50%, so my
                main query is what is different in the extended objects supplied with the
                template as opposed to the CIS Benchmark.
                It might be that I need some setting/other changed.

• 6. Re: Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.
                  Bill Robinson

So the way these EOs are written is probably a bit convoluted but there is some reasoning behind it.  a lot of the compliance policies have checks like "no world writeable files" or "xxx should have these permissions" or something like that.  because it's cheaper to run the OS's find command rather than via nsh or a file object we created a script framework to gather a bunch of info from the target once, leave it on the target and then process those results, rather than running a whole sequence of finds or whatever for each check like that.  so the command is below:

scriptutil -d "??TARGET.STAGING_DIR??" -h "??TARGET.NAME??" -s eo_common_code lib_filehandling lib_utils EO-Mount eo_executer -x -maxdisplay "??MAX_DISPLAY??" -eotimeout "??EO_TIMEOUT??" -maxinfolines "??MAX_INFO_LINES??" -rscddir "??TARGET.RSCD_DIR??" -ruleid "1.1.1" -remdirprefix "CIS" -filename "/etc/fstab" -mountpoint "/tmp

so scriptutil just handles copying scripts over to the target server and executing them and passing args.  so there are five scripts executed here - 'eo_common_code' 'lib_filehandling' 'lib_utils' 'EO-Mount' and 'eo_executer'.  in that order.  then everything after the -x are args to the script.  so you can find those files in the NSH/share/sensors directory on the appservers, and they may have an OS-specific file extension which is where scriptutil will figure out which one to run on the target.  so in one of those scripts there will probably be a section to handle the fstab file and look for '/tmp' and do some evaluation based on the 1.1.1 rule.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Issue with Extended objects - Component Templates - CIS RedHat Enterprise 6.

thanks again for the pointers.

In the scripts I created, to cater for the multiple find commands, all non compliant files/dirs were trapped in one find command and output went to a temp file. This temp file was then interrogatted for each instance of SUID/SGID/World

writable etc non compliance...

This removed the need for 8-12 find runs within a template...in the same way as BMC are trying to cater for in the

supplied Template... There was never going to be an easy way to do this I think.

I am just going through the scripts to map out what is returned against what is expected.

Thanks again for the help.