1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 9:07 AM by Mary Matthews

unexpected TJM Message:

Luciano Spagnuolo

tjm message.JPG.jpg

I am receiving the following message while patching.  Usually on a windows 2003 server, but I have also seen it happen on a Windows 2008 server.  Always during patching.  I was unable to find anything relevant in the knowledge base so I'm hoping some else may have come across this in the past.

I am patching the server with a Service Pack so the process seems to take sometime.  Could this message have something to do with timing?

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 1. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
          Bill Robinson

What’s in the bldeploy and bltargetmanager logs ?

• 2. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
            Jim Wilson

Discussion successfully moved from BMC Bladelogic to Server Automation

• 3. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
              Luciano Spagnuolo

looking at the logs the time of the Unepexted TJM message is at 10:48:52

In the bldeploy log I see where communications is steady until 9:40am than once the patch install starts nothing until 10:45am

in the bltargetjobmanager log

there are only 3 times TJM shows up but only once near the 10:48:52 time period. That's at 11:00:53 stating TJM invoke with arguments.  I don't really see anything wrong and the service pack does install (although it take over an hour).

I will attach the logs for you review.

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 4. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                Bill Robinson
                02/18/14 10:46:10.343 INFO bldeploy - Attempting shutdown REBOOT=true TIMEOUT=0 MSG=System is rebooting
                02/18/14 11:01:13.499 INFO bldeploy - Bldeploy started for package: 44d9246353573977a354a14f8df0d3a4

looks like the box is rebooting then.

02/18/14 10:46:22.203 DEBUGbldeploy - Received from PID=1264 EVENT=Patch MSG=AutoRemediation

not really sure what that means off the top of my head.

does the job end w/ an error state or green check ?

• 5. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                  Luciano Spagnuolo

The end result is hit or miss.  One of the servers completes successfully the other installs nothing and fails.  I've already rebuilt the server having the issue twice so I don't think it's the server.  I am unable to pin anything specific to it that causes this.  I will keep digging...

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 6. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                    Bill Robinson

In the logs you attached you see installs happening, does that correspond to the job run log you showed in the screenshot ?

Do you have logs where nothing was installed?  how are you determining that nothing was installed ?

• 7. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                      Luciano Spagnuolo

after it fails I rerun the analysis job and it reports back the same missing patches.  I also checked the server manually to see if any new patches were installed and there were not.  I have since rebuilt the virtual server and will be deploying the service pack 1st.  That usually works fine.  Tomorrow I will begin another round of patching to see the results.  hopefully, the tjm message will not reappear. 

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 8. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                        Bill Robinson

Did you reboot the server after the job ran ?

Was the bldeploy log from the same job run that was in the screenshot ?  and was this a ‘failure’ ?

• 9. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                          Luciano Spagnuolo

Bill, I did new provision with patch cycle.  Here are the steps and results

Provisioned a new Windows 2008 R2 x64

4GB ram, 2vcpu

Provision went well

patches Service Pack 1

Went well

processed 81 hotfixes

They all installed fine

It appears that the Unexpected TJM message shows up right around when the computer reboots and it is at the loading configuration ?% of 100% (the initial stage after the reboot.

This is when the TJM message appears.

So is it safe to say that the downtime of the reboot process is causing this message?

My next test is going to be the same but this time I will suppress all reboots just to see if it finishes without the TJM message.  Than follow up with a manual reboot.  I will let you know.

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 10. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                            Luciano Spagnuolo

Bill,

My last test was to patch a newly provisioned server the same as previous with one exception, suppressing all reboots from the patch job.  This proved to be successful and without generating the Unexpected TJM message.

A manual reboot and I was able to confirm that all patches needed were installed.  So it looks like the TJM message has something to do when the server reboots at the end of the patch job.  For now I will go with this.

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 11. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                              Bill Robinson

that doesn't really resolve the issue or clarify what your problem is here...

- when you see the TJM message, and the box reboots, are the patches installed?  is the job showing an overall failure state?

- when you don't see any patches on the server, what is happening ?  you see the tjm message, does the box reboot ?  are there messages in the bldeploy log?  is the job in a failed state?

• 12. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                                Luciano Spagnuolo

Bill, The job doesn't always fail.  Most of the time it it's green (good) but still has the tjm message.  When it does fail it is because a patch didn't install.  I found 2 bulletins that can cause this depending on the servers MS13-010 & MS13-028.  One just plain fails the other when I run it manually shows Not applicable at the command line but the job just shows it as failed.

I understand this is not the fix but it is a work-around for now.  I think I will need to look into some timing parameters to see if increasing them makes a difference.  It can take sometime from when the reboot initiates and the server is fully back up, and I have seen it reboot at least once in-between after patching it.

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

• 13. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                                  Bill Robinson

You seem to be getting a lot of things confused here.  let's try and separate the different issues you've intertwined.

1 - you run a job, the patches deploy, the server reboots, you see the tjm warning and the job finishes w/ a green check.  you run an analysis and none of the patches you deployed are missing.  what is the problem here that you see ?

2 - you run a job and the patch failed to deploy.  apparently MS13-010 & MS13-028. i this case the deploy job status is a red x or a green check?

why would increasing 'timing' solve any problem here? and what problem do you think you will solve by changing a timing parameter ?

• 14. Re: unexpected TJM Message:
                                    Luciano Spagnuolo

Bill, not confused.  There are a couple of scenarios taking place.  Originally with the reboot as part of the job the patching would show the TJM message and it could fail or succeed.  Removing the reboot as part of the job does not generate the tjm message but if the ms13-028 or ms13-010 are part of the patch depending on the server it could fail or succeed.

If I remove these 2 bulletins and patch without a reboot as part of the job it works as expected.

if I remove these 2 bulletins and patch with a reboot it generates the tjm message.

I have to conclude that the tjm message has to do with something regarding the reboot. This seems to be consistent so far.

Thanks

Lou Spagnuolo

1 2 Previous Next