5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 12:10 PM by Davorin Stevanovic Branched from an earlier discussion.

appserver -> target communication

Mike Jones

Bill

On the appserver -> target communication front is there any  documentation on the requirements as I don't seem to be able to find any on BMC docs

I am particularly interested in

• Maximum latency for standard operations
      • Bandwidth requirements for standard out of the box actions
      •       NSH shell/script job
      •       Inventory snapshots using the BMC supplied component templates
      •       Live browse connection
      •       Patch analysis - we have found that for some Linux analysis jobs the repodata.tar.gz file used for analysis is bigger than any package needed for remediation and the repodata file is not distributed using repeaters
        • 1. Re: appserver -> target communication
          Joe Piotrowski

I branched your question into a separate discussion.

• 3. Re: appserver -> target communication
            Mike Jones

I have decided to capture and publish some of this data myself as it is not available from BMC.

This is not very scientific and is variable depending on the configuration of the managed server and what you are doing which perhaps is why nothing is documented, but you can use these as a rough idea and factor in your own changes.

RedHat 6 Managed Server

Baseline snapshot using the BMC Standard Inventory Templates                                               - 195KB

Update snapshot using the BMC Standard Inventory Templates                                                 - 193KB

Surprisingly, not a lot of difference to the baseline

Live Browse - expand top level Configuration Objects & running processes EO                            - 245KB

Start & Stop NSH session no commands                                                                                 - 5KB

Start NSH session, cat a 3KB file, Stop NSH session                                                               - 14KB

Start NSH session, cp a 444KB file, Stop NSH session                                                            - 488KB

Patch Analysis                                                                                                                      - 7.4MB

Windows Managed Server to follow

• 4. Re: appserver -> target communication
              Mike Jones

Windows 2008 R2 Managed Server

Baseline snapshot using the BMC Standard Inventory Templates                                               - 4.065MB

Update snapshot using the BMC Standard Inventory Templates                                                 - 4.067MB

Surprisingly, not a lot of difference to the baseline in fact slightly more (change info?)

Live Browse - expand top level Configuration Objects                                                                - 4.18MB

(As I expanded hotfixes this effectively does a patch analysis)

Live Browse - expand top level Configuration Objects (except hotfixes)                                       - 305KB

Start & Stop NSH session no commands                                                                                - 4KB

Start NSH session, cat a 5KB file, Stop NSH session                                                              - 17KB

Patch Analysis                                                                                                                     - 3.83MB

(No surprise based on the live browse results)

Summary

NSH depends purely on what you need to do through the connection, as expected no real differences between Linux and Windows

Inventory snapshot much bigger for Windows

Patch analysis bigger for Linux, this is one area where the network load for Linux patch analysis can be much bigger dependant on the size of the repodata.tar.gz file which holds the metadata for the analysis. This can as much as 20MB required for each server being analyzed, and as BSA does not use repeaters for patch analysis, it is direct from the application servers to the remote managed server with the corresponding network impact.

• 5. Re: Re: appserver -> target communication
                Davorin Stevanovic

Hi Mike,

I am updating thread as promised. In attached file Report.xlsx you can find tests run internally by BMC. Hope this will be helpful to you.

Thanks

Davorin