7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 4:07 AM by Srinivas Merugu

Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity

Srinivas Merugu
      Share This:

Hello,

Can we have source and target dataset for identity activity ? I can see and configure the same for merge activity and could not find any setting for Identity activity.

On reconciliation console system is showing source and target dataset as same. Does it really matter to configure source and target dataset for identity activity ?

Any thoughts ?

• 1. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
          Carey Walker

The 'target' dataset for the ID activity is normally BMC.ASSET, and is defined in the Production Dataset option in your RE job ID activity configuration (lower right side of the panel). If you want to identify against another dataset, then just define your job to use a different dataset in the 'Production dataset' option. The Normalization And Reconciliation Guide will explain these options to you.

• 2. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
            Young So

The identity rule will be different base on the type of data you have.  For example ADDM identity rule will not work for SCCM.  Could you provide more details on the data-set you have to recon?

• 3. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
              Srinivas Merugu

I am planning to run identity Job on ADDM data but not able to figure out what it does with the CIs present in ADDM dataset.

Any hint or help would be appreciated.

• 4. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
                Young So

When you say: "not able to figure out what it does with the CIs present in ADDM dataset" are you asking how it's identify or merged?

For ADDM; I would recommend the following ID rules to be used for better ID.

'ADDMIntegrationId' != $\NULL$ AND 'ADDMIntegrationId' = $ADDMIntegrationId$

'TokenId' != "0" AND 'TokenId' != $\NULL$ AND 'TokenId' = $TokenId$ AND 'SerialNumber' != $\NULL$ AND 'SerialNumber' = $SerialNumber$

This is in addition to OOTB rules.  Hope this was useful information.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
                  Srinivas Merugu

Does the data changes in source and target both when we run the identity activity ? What all fields system updates when we run this activity ?

Where can I set the rudes for identity activity ? I don't find any option in Identity activity.

And how the reconciliation id is assigned to the instances ? Identified instances are assigned a zero reconciliation id - am I right ?

• 6. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
                    Carey Walker

Hi Srini

I'll provide some high level answers to your questions below, however this is a complx topic and not something that can be easily covered from top to bottom in these forums. Please go to the BMC support site and look for the CMDB documentation for your CMDB version, specifically the Normalization and Reconciliation Guide. This one document will answer all of your questions.

1. The data in the target is only READ to try and match records in the source based on the attributes you defined in your rules. The source records will be updated with a reconciliation id cioied from the target record if a match is found, and if no match is found then an attribute (FailedAutomaticIdenification) is set in the source record to tell you it was attempted but failed to match.

2, The rules are set within the UI under the Identification activity step. The USer Guide will step you through all of this.

3. see point 1.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Source and Target dataset for Identity Activity
                      Srinivas Merugu

That was helpful, thanks Carey. I will go through the docs to get more info.