This post shows how to configure the Smart Reporting AR server based on "Deploying in a standalone environment where data is fetched from the replicated AR database" diagram:
Please be aware of the following points below:
1) This is based on ARS v9.1.04 and higher which supports read-only databases.
Starting with ARS v9.1.04, all AR servers are now server group members (even in a single server environment).
Hence the parameter, “Server-Group-Member: F” is no longer honored and it will assume it is “Server-Group-Member: T”
Due to this change, you’ll need to be aware that during AR server startup, it will check if there are entries in the “AR System Server Group Operation Ranking” form.
If no entries are present, it will attempt to create the entries in this form.
By doing so, if the database is in read-only mode, the AR server will not be able to start up as it's unable to write the required entries to “AR System Server Group Operation Ranking” form.
2) Smart Reporting application and the Smart Reporting AR server should not be installed on the same server
3) There are 3 different databases in this setup configuration
- Production AR database (read/write mode)
- Replicated AR database (read-only mode)
- Smart Reporting database (read/write mode) - stores reports/dashboard
1) When installing the Smart Reporting AR server, ensure it's pointing to the Production AR database initially (not the Replicated AR database at this point)
Note: Only AR server is required. No need for CMDB/ITSM/SRM/SLM applications to be installed.
2) Once AR server installation has completed, ensure to add the AR server license while still connected to the Production AR database which is in read/write mode.
3) Delete any references of the Smart Reporting AR server in the below DB tables from the Production AR Database
select * from servgrp_applic;
delete from servgrp_applic where serverName = 'SR_AR_Server';
select * from servgrp_board;
delete from servgrp_board where serverName = 'SR_AR_Server';
select * from servgrp_config;
delete from servgrp_config where coordinator LIKE 'SR_AR_Server%';
select * from servgrp_ftslic;
delete from servgrp_ftslic where serverName = 'SR_AR_Server';
select * from servgrp_resources;
delete from servgrp_resources where serverName = 'SR_AR_Server';
select * from servgrp_userlic;
delete from servgrp_userlic where serverName = 'SR_AR_Server';
4) From the Production AR environment, ensure to keep the entries referencing the Smart Reporting AR server in "AR System Server Group Operation Ranking" form.
However, 2 changes are necessary here:
a) Ensure the Rank has been blanked out (NULL value) for the Smart Reporting AR server
If the Smart Reporting AR server is not listed in the Ranking form, it will not be able to start up when it's connected to the Replicated AR database.
b) Ensure the FQDN AR server name is being used.
If the Short Name is provided, the AR server will not start up due to ServerInitializer expects to return the FQDN.
The expectation is for the ranking data in "AR System Server Group Operation Ranking" form to be replicated across from Production AR database to the Replicated AR database.
5) From the Smart Reporting AR server’s ar.cfg/ar.conf file, modify the following parameters (to prevent any write operations from occuring):
- Disable-Alerts: T
- Disable-Archive: T
- Disable-Escalations: T
- Full-Text-Mode: Disabled
- Full-Text-Disable-Indexing: T
- Full-Text-Disable-Searching: T
6) From the armonitor.cfg/armonitor.conf file, comment out the following:
- FTS secondary plugin
- Email Engine
- Carte server
7) Point the Smart Reporting AR server to the Replicated AR database.
Below are the parameters that needs to change to reflect the Replicated AR database in the ar.cfg/ar.conf file
- Db-name: ARSystem
- Db-user: ARAdmin
- Db-Host-Name: <Replicated_DB_server_name>
8) Startup the Smart Reporting AR server
Note: In the arerror.log, you may see the following error message “Failed to update database "ARSystem" because the database is read-only”.
This is expected and normal behavior.
9) Proceed with the installation of Smart Reporting application
Note: BMC recommends to install Smart Reporting application on a separate server with a minimum of 16GB RAM