Did you open BMC Support ticket ?
Yes i did raise a ticket with BMC and waiting for an update.
Any updates or workaround for the same is highly appreciated!
Unfortunately I don't have a workaround right now. But I'm pretty interested what will be the response from support.
Please keep us informed.
thanks a lot
1 of 1 people found this helpful
I did replace srm provider.jar file from the older backup on one of our DEV Environment and tested the behavior which works as expected.
Will wait for a confirmation from BMC with this replacement and see if this will be addressed or i can go ahead with this workaround on our Prod Environments too.
Will keep you informed as i have an update from BMC or i proceed on this resolution.
Workaround provided by BMC is as below.
Make a backup of the file and replace it with the backup.
srm-18.02.00.000-BUILD-SNAPSHOT.jar (name could be slightly different based on exact build)
Restart of Tomcat and replacing the file from the back up resolved the issue.