With regards to Issue#3
We were able to audit the machines behind the router, the one at another location, quite succesfully.
We weren't able to audit any machines prior to this so we gave the Server a static route, alls well in that end.
Based on BMC's knowledgebase, I did discover that I was not able to ping any of the machines using the computer name. Obviously couldnt access the PC C$ as well, but pinging with the IP address works A ok.
Any ideas on resolving this??
Issue #1 could be browser version. Try compatibility mode if using IE or use something else like Chrome or Firefox.
Issue #2 is a tough one. A workgroup doesnt have one central Admin account like an AD network does. Installing an application remotely requires admin access. It should work if you know the local admin account of the machine you are connecting to but that might also fail because usually, local accounts dont have network permisions so it cannot connect back to the Track-It! share to complete the installation.
As for issue #3, being able to access by IP should be ok. Remote tries computer name and IP. The real issue is going to be permissions to push the client since you have no global admin as you would in AD.
For issue #1:
This is a pretty common if the Web server isn't configured 100% correctly. Please see the following knowledgebase article:
For issue #2:
I believe Cris is right. You can try to make it work by ensuring that all machines on the network have the same exact administrator user name and password, and by making sure that this administrator account has all necessary permissions to the Track-It! share and folders, but if that doesn't work you may be forced to manually install the Remote host on each machine.
For issue #3:
When Asset Discover is run, an ARP request is made to the machines on the network to retrieve their MAC addresses. Since ARP is not a routable protocol, however, all that is returned for machines on another subnet is a single MAC address belonging to the router. This shouldn't affect auditing however since it calls the computer name. After the audits have been run, the MAC address shown in the Inventory grid for each of those assets should then be updated with the actual MAC addresses.
Issue#1- The web interface problem is resolved, but a new issue has come to light.
After inputing the user name and password the screen flashes for a second and then shows the sign in screen again. Never seen this happen before.
Issue#2- Still unresolved.
We've tested with a few client pcs, Local Administrator with the same passwords. No luck.
Gave the server a static route and it was able to audit the machines that were returning the mac address of the router earlier.
Earlier we werent able to audit the client machines.
Issue #2 may be more difficult than that. Even though the accounts have the same name and password, they have different SIDs and are not truly the same account. I am not sure how to resolve that one. You might need to work with someone from our support group. Perhaps install a windows AD server and dual authenticate users. It has been many years since I worked with Novell but the client used to support that type of connection. Not sure now though. Support may have a better answer.
Well I finally have some good news, contacted support a week back and started testing every article about the subject. A phone call later things moved on quickly.
We were given the option of modifying the host file in the server by adding the client machine's name and IP in the file.
Worked like a charm
the other option that we didnt test yet was trying to add the server to the DNS. I'll let you know how that worked out later.
Now I'm going back to test Issue #1