It's a known issue that happens for all languages with accents or "weird" characters (like French, Spanish...).
Check AR Message Catalog, you'll see accents / special characters are "corrupted", it's due to a corrupted "arx" that comes with installer (that bug exists in 7.6.04 sp1 too btw).
Only way I found for French was:
1°) export AR System message catalog to arx format,
2°) fix the words (like... manually ),
3°) import the fixed arx back to AR message catalog (overwriting previous ones).
4°) flush cache and test,
Or check with support, hopefully they have one on the shelves
Thanks a lot for reply my friend.
I even tried to do this, but in other parts I saw the same problem happen.
It happens in:
- SYS:Menu Itens
- SYS:Message Catalog
I did a "SELECT" in the database for a character (½) and the answer of database was more than 300000 records, however much I correct it is impossible to ensure that all ITSM is correct.
I asked to support, hopefully they can help me.
I found new tacks for this problem.
I've made searches for some especial characters, like (ï½Ý¿öý) in substitution to (ção), I found problems in 3 forms AR System Message Catalog, AR System Home Page Descriptor, SYS:Menu Items.
I suppose this is a part of solution, but there are many broken records in these forms.
I will continue investigating to solve all these problems in reports and Message Catalog.
Yep it's scattered a bit everywhere.
I am experiencing the same problems in an environment that I am doing upgrade from 7.1 to 7.6 with language pt_BR.
You could solve your problem? Can you give me some tips?
Any update in this issue?
I found the same issue during SRM 8.0 patch 001 installation.
Everything was fine until, I installed SRM in my environment (it's had ARS and Atrium CMDB, both 8.0) and I also working in pt-BR.
At that time BMC developed a fix, but is the same way I've wrote before.
They fixed the same registers on the same forms.
You should open an issue on BMC to inform that, but is important too you look for characters on platform.
We received an ARX file with this fix from BMC support, but we looked through it and we find awkward translations... couple of them in French and English.
After that, the BMC support haven't answer us...
If you have 30 minutes in your life to loose (I did it actually two or three times for French locale), export the "AR System Message Catalog" into arx format. Then use a text editor like notepad ++ to correct the "weird" characters" and import your "corrected" arx file.