1. BMC uses Scapa for the internal testing of ITSM tool, and they prefer it over other performance testing tools.
2. The layer in which the load is measured is different from tool to tool.
3. Scappa uses C/Java API's and HTTP and HTTPS for automated testing
4. Scripting is not impossible in both
Read this for more info on testing tools used in remedy
Just to clarify, both Scapa and SilkPerformer have been used internally within BMC.
15-Oct-2006 (White Paper) Sizing and Capacity Planning for BMC Remedy IT Service Management 7.0 and BMC Atrium CMDB 2.0
"Load testing of online users was done with two toolsets: SilkPerformer from
Segue, and Scapa Test from Scapa Technologies Limited. Both companies
have collaborated with BMC to provide specific functionality to allow more
effective driving of the BMC Remedy based product set. Silk Performer
allows users to simulate web-based users using AR server mid-tier. The midtier
is driven through a higher level of abstraction than http, called the backchannel
APIs of the mid-tier. Using this technology allowed BMC to create
load testing scripts that are more concise than those that replay pure HTTP.
The Scapa Test and Performance Platform also has specific functionality
related to AR System, and allows the capture and replay of AR System APIs.
This serves to simulate users accessing AR System based applications through
the User Tool. This also allows load testing without needing to model the
mid-tier of a configuration, which then can be evaluated in separate load
David J. Easter
Product Line Manager
Remedy Action Request System
BMC Software, Inc.
One needs to answer the follwing questions while implementing performance testing for your ITSM applications
1.Why performance testing is necessary for ITSM Products?
2. How toapproach Performance Testing?
3. What are the challenges involvedand which tools could be used for conducting Performance Testing?
I hope the below pasted resources would be useful for you
First of all if you want to do the load testing of ITSM User tool and Web Version then you can't use the tool called Silk Performer, because Silk Performer is only for Web Based Clients (Thin Client) . I used silk performer but never used the Scapa tool. But I heard that the Scapa tool is basically used for the load test of thick clients(User Tool).
1. If you want to do the load test through mid tier I will suggest to go for Silk Performer (No Idea regarding Scapa).
2. In Silk Performer you will get an option for recording which will capture all the API Back Channel call's request and response.
3.No Idea regarding Scapa.
4.Yes In Silk Performer you can easily change the script what we called is the parsing and parametrizing for making the script dynamic. There are some in built functions used for do that type of stuffs.
I suggested according to my knowledge, If you have any query then feel free to ask me.