When you are asked for the ports, one of them has got a "0" just remove it and it will work fine.
If you do not get the page with the option to "upgrade", it means you have entered a wrong information in the DB or Remedy connection page.
I recommend you backup your system before applying the patch. I patched our test server today and it never restarted. No error in any Remedy log and an useless error description in the Windows Service manager event. I compared all config files with the previous install and everything's fine... I have the feeling something's bad with the files that have been replaced.
Let me know if you get this type of problem while installing.
Our versions before patching:
What is exactly "server died"?
Here we have done a successfull upgrade from ARS 7.0.1 to 7.5.2. But it was after editing some lines here and there. Running the instalation in silent mode and in regular mode,.... After 7 tries of setting up our server (and 7 failed upgrades) we had reached the hall of the fame.
Sometimes emailengine didnt install at all, sometimes installer cant startup ARS, sometimes the installer says that we had all the components of ARS installed (that was not true),....
Just try the installer again.
Well in our case the server is dead dead dead.. the service cannot restart... and there is no error log anywhere that give a single clue about what could cause that.
I tried all the usual troubleshooting steps but can't figure what's happening. So right now the VM is gone and I have a new one to start from scratch.
It looks like we all have different issues with this patch apparently.
Nothing at all. The only error I get is in the windows service application event:
The BMC ... terminated with service-specific error 1064 (0x428)
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 : Action Request System(R) Server Version 7.5.00 Patch 002 200906100308
(c) Copyright 1991-2009 BMC Software, Inc.
Arserver debug log ends as follow:
Wed Jun 24 2009 08:51:05.6140 <Startup> <TID: 0000002032> InitializeServerCache: LoadInitialSchemaInfo Begin
Wed Jun 24 2009 08:51:05.6140 <Startup> <TID: 0000002032> InitializeServerCache: PerformPreCachePatchDatabaseUpgrades End
And armonitor log just says that the process died:
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 ARMonitor child process (pid:1064) started. "e:\remedy\arserver.exe"
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 (ARNOTE 0)
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 Pausing for max 900 seconds or until server up.
Wed Jun 24 08:58:55 2009 (ARNOTE 0)
Wed Jun 24 08:58:55 2009 The Server process terminated.
I compared as well the old and new config files and except the db password line position and the cache mode nothing was changed. I even restored the previous cfg files.
I can't tell if this is due to our setup or if really the patch is faulty.
I will start from scratch using directly the patch002 installer kit and we'll see if that goes well.