1 of 1 people found this helpful
When you are asked for the ports, one of them has got a "0" just remove it and it will work fine.
If you do not get the page with the option to "upgrade", it means you have entered a wrong information in the DB or Remedy connection page.
I recommend you backup your system before applying the patch. I patched our test server today and it never restarted. No error in any Remedy log and an useless error description in the Windows Service manager event. I compared all config files with the previous install and everything's fine... I have the feeling something's bad with the files that have been replaced.
Let me know if you get this type of problem while installing.
Our versions before patching:
tried removing the port number before posting, this did not work and the error was still presented - thus leading to this post.
Remedy connection page is correct and verified.
Well at least it always worked for me...clearing both ports field.
For the connection page, have you tried changing between Oracle SID and Oracle Service name? I had this problem once due to this setting
Using SQL2005, but will attempt some other workarounds.
Glad to see it is not just me having issues.
Yeah well... small compensation not to be the only one... :-(
My server's dead... I just tried re-applying patch001 without success... and guess what... i did not make a backup before starting... yay... :-)
What is exactly "server died"?
Here we have done a successfull upgrade from ARS 7.0.1 to 7.5.2. But it was after editing some lines here and there. Running the instalation in silent mode and in regular mode,.... After 7 tries of setting up our server (and 7 failed upgrades) we had reached the hall of the fame.
Sometimes emailengine didnt install at all, sometimes installer cant startup ARS, sometimes the installer says that we had all the components of ARS installed (that was not true),....
Just try the installer again.
Well in our case the server is dead dead dead.. the service cannot restart... and there is no error log anywhere that give a single clue about what could cause that.
I tried all the usual troubleshooting steps but can't figure what's happening. So right now the VM is gone and I have a new one to start from scratch.
It looks like we all have different issues with this patch apparently.
No errors on screen at "arsystem start" command? Unbelievable
Nothing at all. The only error I get is in the windows service application event:
The BMC ... terminated with service-specific error 1064 (0x428)
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 : Action Request System(R) Server Version 7.5.00 Patch 002 200906100308
(c) Copyright 1991-2009 BMC Software, Inc.
Arserver debug log ends as follow:
Wed Jun 24 2009 08:51:05.6140 <Startup> <TID: 0000002032> InitializeServerCache: LoadInitialSchemaInfo Begin
Wed Jun 24 2009 08:51:05.6140 <Startup> <TID: 0000002032> InitializeServerCache: PerformPreCachePatchDatabaseUpgrades End
And armonitor log just says that the process died:
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 ARMonitor child process (pid:1064) started. "e:\remedy\arserver.exe"
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 (ARNOTE 0)
Wed Jun 24 08:57:24 2009 Pausing for max 900 seconds or until server up.
Wed Jun 24 08:58:55 2009 (ARNOTE 0)
Wed Jun 24 08:58:55 2009 The Server process terminated.
I compared as well the old and new config files and except the db password line position and the cache mode nothing was changed. I even restored the previous cfg files.
I can't tell if this is due to our setup or if really the patch is faulty.
I will start from scratch using directly the patch002 installer kit and we'll see if that goes well.
did you find a fix for this problem? Ive just tried to upgrade a system and now cannot start the service either. I get the same error.
Unfortunately no :-(
I had to reimage the whole server OS and then start from scratch using the Patch002 installer directly.
I did not have the time to but you can try with BMC support.... maybe they have a solution for this issue now.
I have an open issue on this exact error "service-specific error 1064" with ColumnIT support. We are not getting anywhere after about 2 weeks.
Fortunately, this is my test environment and I want to figure it out incase we encounter it someday in production.
I have raised a ticket with BMC Support and will see what will come of it. Luckily it is on one of our test systems.
I guess that there is a defect in the installer when you select "Uprgade" using the patch 002 installer.
I know the patch 002 installer works fine when you do a "Clean Install"
If you are installing on UNIX and are NOT the root user, you won't be able to map to a port lower than 1024. Typically (as is the case with Solaris), only the root user has access to map the ports below 1024.