The current Web Service API has a handful of very useful capabilities, but is missing some important features.
My goal is to update my organizations custom applications with error handling routines that generate a Track-It incident ticket and post the exception data along with a private technician note containing the stack trace results. With the exception of the attachments suggestion, all the below recommendations are issues that I have to work around with the current API.
I recommend the following improvements are made to the existing API framework
- Enable updating the 'ExpectedCompletionDate' field in a Create Work Order call
- Enable setting an incident template in a Create Work Ord
- Enable adding attachments to an existing Work Order with a POST containing the file as a stream
- Enable updating the Description field as part of the initial Create Work Order call instead of requiring a follow-up Create Note to set the description
- This could be as simple as adding an array of Work Order Notes inside the Create call
- Enable creating a work order on behalf of another user
- In many cases, the user with the issue cannot access the web page or email to initiate a ticket on their own
- In the case of automatically generating a Work Order from the error trapped on a custom application, the end user loses visibility outside of getting emails as CC on the Work Order.