It's a constant requirements for release managers to understand what is the current status of a release, when teams are going to be involved in deployments etc.
In the RPM tool,
- For an step, we can populate the start, estimate and complete time.
- For a request, we can populate the start time of the request.
1st -> I dont understand why the start and complete times for an step are populated manually and not automatically. If I want to populate the actual timings for a completed step, I need to reset the status of the step as I'm not going to be able to know the end time until It's actually completed by the relevant team.
2nd -> If we've got a request start time and estimates for each of the steps, It would be great if through the requests screens or even through a bespoke report, We could be able to identify:
- when all the different steps are expected to be processed.
- which teams are going to be involved in which steps and when are they expected to perform these actions.
- When the request is expected to finish.
For a simple request all these details are very easy to be calculated, but for a very complex request with steps running in parallel that is not possible. Release managers would be able to manage expectations with these simple changes.