IDEA: Enhance the projoct tracking capabilities of Track-It!.
DETAILS: A system by which Track-It! would provide a more robust offering for tracking project-based work orders. Some customers just create a 'Project' priority to track projects, while others go further and use a Work Order Template that allows for creating sub-work orders for tasks. However, creating more work orders has been identified by some as an issue as well. Some suggestions for a very simple project tracking enhancement might include, but are not limited to:
- Have a special Work Order type built into the program called project.
- In a project work order, allow for the addition of:
- Gathering requirements
- Creating a scope of work
- Entry of an Estimated number of hours it may take to complete project
- Entry of additional resources that might be required to complete project
- Entry of dependencies (other tasks, timelines) that affect the timeline
- Entry of the Estimated project completion date (which takes into account and adjusts based on the dependencies from above
- Obtaining sign-off/approval to proceed
- Tracking hours expended on the project (not the time the ticket is open, but instead hours entered by the technician)
While it could be done by programming a "Projects" module, I'm not suggesting anything that grand at this point, just a mid-point solution that would allow us to treat a project a bit differently than just another work order with a different priority.
Technicians: 1) Ability to track project work more appropriately and separately from daily helpdesk tickets. 2) Allow for better resource management and reporting to other departments based on data and dependency-drive information contained in the project work order.
BMC Software: 1) Increased customer base for Track-It! product, without infringing on other BMC product sales.