NAGIOS AND THE PLUGIN LIBRARY
Nagios is an open-source monitoring solution. Despite its many shortcomings, there is one good thing in Nagios: its library of plugins available for free in various areas such as Cloud, Email, Blog, E-commerce, Hardware, Security, and many more. Including for example: Amazon AWS, Cloudera, Hadoop, OpenStack, Windows Azure, or Cisco Jabber.
TRUESIGHT AND THE NAGIOS PLUGINS
When IT administrators using BMC TrueSight Operations Management need to monitor a large number of technologies: they now have the option of leveraging one of the existing Nagios plugins!
Sentry Software and BMC offer them the ability to use natively any of these plugins in their TrueSight environment without rewriting all over again and in just a few clicks.
NAGIOS PLUGIN INTEGRATION: TRUESIGHT OM ENVIRONMENT
The architecture diagram below represents a typical TrueSight Operations Management environment:
Monitoring Studio is just a standard KM that is loaded and running on the PATROL agent. It is the module that allows admins to execute a Nagios plugin to monitor their servers and applications (both local and remote).
It is important to note that Nagios Server is not needed to use Nagios plugins in TrueSight Operations Management.
NAGIOS PLUGIN INTEGRATION: HOW IT WORKS
Leveraging Nagios plugins with Monitoring Studio is very simple and requires 2 steps only:
- First, admins need to download the Nagios plugin of their choice (typically from Nagios Exchange)
- Then, they need to configure Monitoring Studio to run this plugin in their TrueSight environment
And that’s it! Monitoring Studio then starts monitoring the targeted technology by running the configured Nagios plugin natively.
The latest version of Monitoring Studio gives IT administrators the opportunity to save time and monitor the many heterogeneous technologies in place in their organization, without reinventing the wheel by using an already existing large set of Nagios Plugins in their TrueSight environment.
Try it for yourself, download Monitoring Studio 9.2.00 without further delay and benefit today from:
- A better coverage of the various technologies in your organization
- A huge amount of ready-to-use plugins
- An enriched monitoring experience
- Download Monitoring Studio v9.2
- Watch the Leverage Nagios Plugins in BMC TrueSight Operations Management video
- Visit Sentry Software Web Site and learn more about Monitoring Studio
- Read our Monitoring Studio datasheet and technical datasheet