This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
Track-It! 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
After selecting an asset in the Inventory grid, and then clicking "Audit Now" in the right-click menu, or "Audit Workstations" in the Tasks pane on the left, the "Audit Workstation" window may show "Merge Failed" after the audit is attempted.
NOTE: To help identify the root cause of the issue, it is recommended that Track-It! 9 Service Pack 2 or higher is installed. This update must be installed to an existing installation of Track-It! 9 RTM or Track-It! 9 SP1. Starting with Track-It! 9 Service Pack 1 (220.127.116.11), the "Merge Failed" error can be double-clicked to view additional details that may help to resolve the issue. Otherwise, manual troubleshooting steps must be taken as detailed below.
This error could occur for numerous reasons. However, first review some of the following possibilities:
- If this occurs in Track-It! 11.2 or 11.3, please see article TIA07352 first.
- A specific merge error is occurring, such as "Number of Audit Licenses Exceeded" but cannot be seen when running "Audit Now".
- The path where the server expects to find the audit results XML file is not configured correctly.
- The permissions to the DATA folder in the Track-It! Server directory are not sufficient or the specified server location where the audit XML file should be copied is not correct.
- Media Player software has "hi-jacked" the results XML file.
- On the machine that reported the merge failure, open the Track-It! server share (ie. \\ServerName\TrackIt80).
- Run Audit32.exe or Audit.exe with the "/now" switch as shown below (/NOW only works in Track-It! 11.1 and earlier or Track-It! 11.3 R2): Audit.exe /now This will help to determine, first of all, whether an error is occurring during the audit itself. NOTE: A common error that appears is "Invalid Data Type for 'SystemComponent'". If that error appears, please see article TIA02604 as new files are available to help address this issue.
- After the audit completes, open Technician Client, and then open the Inventory module.
- Under the Tools menu, select "Merge Audit Data".
- If a merge error appears, open the log to view the error details.
- Once the error details are uncovered, search the knowlegebase on some of its key words.
- On the Track-It! server, open the following directory (default): C:\Program Files\Numara Software\Numara Track-It!\Track-It! Server OR C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Track-It!\Track-It! Server
- Open the auditcfg.ini file with Notepad.
- Search for "CopyLocation" and make sure the value is set to the following: CopyLocation=.\Data\ In order for the "Audit Now" service to correctly find the audit results XML file, this value must be as shown above. It cannot be configured with any other path.
- Save the changes to the file and try to run the Audit again.
- Open the following directory on the Track-It! server (default): C:\Program Files\Numara Software\Numara Track-It!\Track-It! Server OR C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Track-It!\Track-It! Server
- Open the Auditcfg.ini file with Notepad.
- Search for "CopyLocation". By default, the line should appear like the following, which indicates that the Audit XML file will be created on the Track-It! server, under ..\Track-It! Server\Data: CopyLocation=.\Data\ (a trailing backslash character must exist)
- Save the changes if any are made and then close the file.
- Next, open the following folder: C:\Program Files\Numara Software\Numara Track-It!\Track-It! Server OR C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Track-It!\Track-It! Server
- Right-click the Track-It! Server folder and select Properties.
- Open the Sharing tab and then click the Permissions button.
- For ease of setup and administration, and since NTFS permissions will take precedence over the share permissions, make sure Everyone or Domain Users have Full Control permissions.
- Click Ok once this is set and then click Ok to close the Track-It! Server Properties window.
- Next, open the Track-It! Server directory.
- Right-click the Monitor subfolder and select Properties.
- Open the Security tab.
- At a minimum, make sure that the following accounts/groups have at least Modify and below permissions: Users Administrators SYSTEM CREATOR OWNER
- After setting these permissions, click the Advanced button.
- Enable the "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" option at the bottom of the window and then click Ok.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Click Ok to close the Track-It! Server Properties window.
- Open the Track-It! Server directory and then open the DATA folder.
- If any .lck or .XML files are present, delete them.
Media Player Software