This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
Remedy AR System Server
BMC Remedy AR System Server - Server Group Configuration - v9.x
In many of the cases, there are issues where Server Group functionality doesn't work as expected.
Like: FTS Search does not work even after completing a fresh Full Text Reindexing, Approvals do not get processed, Email Engine intermittently stops working etc.
In many of such cases, we have noticed that AR Servers are not configured correctly in Server Group, which means multiple environments (DEV, QA & PROD) AR Server entries gets configured on AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form.
If we check on servgrp_board table from database or using driver.exe utility, we will notice same multiple environments AR Server entries over there as well, which confuses AR Servers that there are more (4 in this case for example) AR Servers in Server Group.
Also, as highlighted below, the Server Group operations (OpsFlag) gets configured as Rank 1 on multiple AR Servers.
In few cases we have noticed that there are duplicate entries of the same AR Servers (one as the short AR Server name and another as a FQDN name) on AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form and servgrp_board table.
NOTE: This article is also available in Spanish, search by Article Number 000166534. / NOTA: Este artículo también est disponible en Español, buscar por el Número de Artículo 000166534.
The junk entries usually comes on database migration activity from one environment to another. It could also come if we update the Server-Connect-Name entry from ar.cfg file, like; short AR Server name to FQDN name or vise versa.
The solution of this issue is to reconfigure all the AR Servers back in Server Group.
To reconfigure we need to follow below steps:
1. Take a backup (or screenshot) of all the records from AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form. This will help to set the same rankings after reconfiguration.
2. Delete all the records from AR System Server Group Operation Ranking.
3. Check if you see any orphan servers entries in centralized configuration form, if yes try to remove those from AR System Configuration Component form
4. Bring down all AR servers processes from the group.
5. Truncate all records from servgrp_board, servgrp_config, servgrp_resources, after taking appropriate back up.
6. Truncate the orphan server entries from below tables.
select * from servgrp_applic
select * from servgrp_ftslic
select * from servgrp_userlic
select * from AR_System_Server_Group_Operati
select * from AR_System_Service_Failover_Ran
select * from AR_System_Service_Failover_Whi
7. Restart each of the AR Servers in a rolling manner (Primary/integration server first followed by secondary/user-facing servers). This will create the entries on AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form as well as servgrp_board table for each of the AR Servers.
1. We have to make sure that Server-Group-Member parameter should be set to "T" for all servers in server group in ar.cfg/conf file or Centralized Configuration form.
2. Whichever AR Servers gets restart first, ranking 1 will be set for all the Server Group Operations for that AR Server. For other AR Servers, we need to manually set the ranking for all the Server Group Operations from AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form.
Remedy - Server/ITSM - How to Rank Operations in a Server Group