This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
Control-M/Enterprise Manager Version 9.0.00 Control-M/Server for UNIX and Microsoft Windows Version 9.0.00
This article addresses some frequently asked questions about the Control-M 9.0.00 Agent Deployment tool available from the Control-M/Enterprise Manager's Control-M Configuration Manager.
1. Why is the installation package not detected by the Control-M Agent Deployment tool?
The installation packages names expected by the Control-M Agent Deployment tool are case sensitive. Please keep the package name as it was download from the Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) site. Sometimes, when downloading the Linux/UNIX packages on Windows, the Z extension is changed to z. Please validate that the Z extension is in capital and retry.
2. Is there downtime when performing a Control-M/Agent upgrade?
Control-M/Agent 8.0.00 Fix Pack 100, there is no downtime for UNIX/Linux agents.
Control-M/Agent 9.0.00 Fix Pack 100, there is no downtime for agents running on Windows.
For previous versions there is a brief downtime.
3. Can I downgrade a Control-M/Agent that was upgraded outside of the Control-M Agent Deployment tool?
No, only the Control-M/Agents upgraded with the Control-M Agent Deployment tool can be downgraded.
4. Why are the Control-M/Agent fix packs not detected by the Control-M Agent Deployment tool?
The only fix packs detected by the Control-M Agent Deployment tool are the fix packs released for Control-M/Agent 9.0.00. Please upgrade the agent to version 9.0.00 before deploying fix packs.
5. How does the Control-M Agent Deployment tool transfer the fix pack file to the Control-M/Agent?
The packages are transferred via clear text using the ports opened for the communication between the Control-M/Server and the Control-M/Agent.
6. Why do I get a platform error when upgrading a Control-M/Agent? I have copied the correct installation package to the repository.
Before Control-M 9.0.00, the Control-M/Agents running on Linux were installed in 32 bit mode even when they are running on a 64 bit Linux OS. In order to avoid these errors, please also download the 32 bit version of the installation package.
7. Why do I get the error "PERL_PATH couldn't be resolved" or "PERL_LIB_PATH installation couldn't be resolved" while performing an upgrade activity?
The activities performed by the Control-M Agent Deployment tool use the bmcperl directory that's created with the Control-M/Agent installation; it's very possible that this directory has been deleted and that's the cause of these error messages. You can copy the directory from another Control-M/Agent with the same version and paste it on the agent that's facing this error.
8. What are the most useful configuration parameters used by the Control-M Agent Deployment tool?
The most useful parameters are:
- DEPLOYMENT_THREADS. Determines the maximum number of upgrade or downgrade processes that can run simultaneously. Default: 5
- AD_RETAIN_PACKAGES. Determines the number of days that the installation package is saved in the Control-M/Server cache. Default 30
0: Never remove
Control-M/Agent System Parameters:
- AD_GA_RETAIN_DAYS. Determines the number of days to keep the backup4restore directory on the Control-M/Agent, which is used to downgrade to the original version of the Control-M/Agent, after an upgrade has occurred.
NOTE: If you do not plan to downgrade the Control-M/Agent, it is recommended to delete the directory to save disk space.
Control-M/Enterprise Manager System Parameters:
- CentralDeployLocation. Determines a specific network location for the packages repository.
NOTE: If the Control-M/Enterprise Manager is running on Windows, verify that the user defined in the Control-M/Enterprise Manager Configuration Agent Windows service has access to the relevant network location.
The Connect with Control-M session for the Control-M Agent Deployment Tool is available on YouTube. You can access it by following the next link: https://youtu.be/YL5CVyRm3tw9) How much diskspace is required for automatic deployment to run?
Because we need to transfer ( encoded to base 64 )
Decode to binary
Create backup of current agent for long run
Upgrade and keep old and new binaries to work in parallel to support upgrade with no down time
- Control-M/Server for UNIX and Microsoft Windows
- Control-M/Agent for UNIX and Microsoft Windows
- Control-M/Enterprise Manager