This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
BladeLogic Server Automation Suite
BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Suite 8.6 and above; TrueSight Server Automation 8.9.03+
I am using the BMC BladeLogic Server Automation (BSA) or TrueSight Server Automation (TSSA) Universal Product Installer (UPI) and encountering an error.
What information should be gathered to help troubleshoot the issue and determine the root cause?
A) Useful High-Level questions to answer to help BMC Customer Support understand the problematic behavior
1) Is this an installation of a new BSA/TSSA environment or the upgrade of an existing environment?
2) Are the BSA/TSSA Application Servers running on Windows or Linux?
3) Is the Database Type Oracle or SQL Server?
4) If this is an upgrade, what are the starting and target versions? e.g. 8.6.1 to 8.7 P3
5) Have all the appropriate steps in the "Preparing the unified product installer" documentation been followed? Following these steps helps avoid the most common causes of UPI failures.
Upgrade: Windows - Preparing for a Windows upgrade using the unified product installer
Upgrade: Linux - Preparing for a Linux or UNIX upgrade using the unified product installer
Install: Windows - Requirements for installing on Microsoft Windows using the unified product installer
Install: Linux - Requirements for installing on Linux using the unified product installer
6) Has the "Troubleshooting the unified product installer" page of the BSA documentation been reviewed? This contains the answers to common question and also some possible root causes to common error messages.
7) In the case of an upgrade, does this environment use an NSH Proxy?
B) What items should be gathered and provided to BMC Customer Support?
1) Screenshot of UPI screen showing the error: This allows BMC Customer Support to understand where in the process the issue is occurring
2) Provide all the log files for the UPI as described here.
The set of log files which will be created will depend on how far the UPI progressed before failing.: