This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
BMC Control-M/Enterprise Manager 8.0.00 BMC Control-M/Enterprise Manager 9.0.00
How can I use Rule-Based Calendars?
The following video demonstrates this article:
To create a Rule-Based Calendar:
- Open the Workload Automation GUI
- In the Planning domain, select the "Tools" ribbon.
- Click "Calendars".
- In the "Editing" section of the ribbon, click "New".
- Click "Rule-Based".
- Name the calendar and set the rules.
How to specify a rule like "the nth-last some-day of each month" (e.g. the second-last Tuesday of each month)
- In the Calendar definition, select "Month Days".
- Select "Days from end of month".
- Expand the list of days from the end of the month by clicking the left-pointing arrow.
- Select the 8th through the 14th last days for the second-to-last set of weekdays.
- Click to expand the "Limitations" section of the calendar definition.
- Select the desired day of the week.
- Select the desired months.
- Click "View Schedule" to confirm the schedule is as desired.
- Click "OK".
- Click "Check In" on the new calendar.
How to specify a rule like "the first work-day of each month" (based on an existing Regular work-days calendar)
- Create a regular calendar that includes all and only the business days.
- Create a rule-based calendar based on that calendar, set to schedule "Relative Calendar Days from Start/End of Month/Period"
- Select only the first calendar day of the month.
- Select all months.
- If you have Control-M/Forecast installed, you may click "View Schedule" to verify that the calendar is defined to run on the days you want.
Please refer to the attached screen shot to see how this would look.
How to set multiple Rule-Based Calendars onto a single job in a SMART Folder.
- On the "Scheduling" tab of the SMART Folder, select desired calendars under "Control-M Rule-based Calendar".
- Do not remove the "EVERYDAY" calendar if you still want the SMART Folder itself to run every day.
- Add the desired Rule-Based Calendars to the appropriate jobs within the SMART Folder on the jobs' respective "Scheduling" tabs.
- On any such job, click "View Schedule" to visually confirm the desired schedule.