Working in BMC Support, I get expose to a lot of problems caused by settings in Microsoft Internet Explorer that are sometimes hard to troubleshoot or recreate. Starting in Footprints 11.6.0, Internet Explorer 7 and 8 are no longer supported. When running Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11 in compatibility view when going into Footprints, it is running the website with Internet Explorer 7 settings.
Part of the problem is the default settings in Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11 has "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" enabled. Turning this off through domain group policies will avoid different problems when Footprints loads a page or form.
To turn compatibility view off manually take these steps.
1. In Internet Explorer click Tools -> Compatibility View Settings (press the ALT key if the tools menu does not appear at the top).
2. Disable the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" option.
Here are a list of some of the errors you will see:
Unable to set property 'dir' of undefined or null reference
version=10.42 (line 205)
t=E3TH (line 1)
Home page sort
Form Designer edit
Form Designer list
Please add any further suggestions for troubleshooting Internet Explorer with Footprints as a comment.
NOTE: Footprints 12.1.02.002, released 02/16/2016 included this change in the application.html file
New Suggestion for changing the Internet Explorer behavior at the application level:
Following the suggestion of João Angelo de Franco below, I am adding his suggestion as the easiest work around to change the behavior in Footprints 12.1 for everyone.
1. Go to the Footprints 12.1 application server and find the Footprints application path. The default path is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\FootPrints Service Core
2. Go to the \web\default folder. The full path is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\FootPrints Service Core\web\default
3. Make a backup copy of the "application.html" file
4. Edit the :application.html" file with Notepad
5. Add the following line to the top of the file:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />
6. Save the file
7. During a scheduled maintenance period, restart the Apache Tomcat service.
After making the change, Footprints 12.1 will always run on Internet Explorer in native mode instead of compatibility mode, avoiding the need to change the local intranet setting suggested above.