This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
BMC Client Management
All versions of BMC Client Management (BCM) although the included binaries for SQL Server Express version may vary.
What is the easiest setup to install a BCM master?
Does BCM require a database? Is it included in the installer for the master?
I have less than 500 clients, what is the minimum setup i can use?
The easiest to start using a BCM master is to set it up using the included SQL Server Express binaries.
Please watch below video for a quick walkthrough of the BCM master installation.
This has some limitations though: the database can't exceed 10 GB, and to match the prerequites (12.9), if the master has more than 500 children the database must be deported to a dedicated server. Still this is very easy to migrate the SQL Server Express database to a dedicated SQL Server (not express) server if the database gets to big and/or if the number of clients then rise to a higher number of clients superior to 500, as described in this KA: Client Management: How to move the database to a new MS SQL server.
1.1 Extract the setup files and run setup.exe:
1.2 Click Next, then accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next
1.3 Make sure SQL Express is checked along with Master and Console:
1.4 Click Next then Install
SQL Server Express 2016 (for 12.9) will be installed.
2- Configuration Wizard
The configuration wizard starts immediately after the the installation of SQL Server Express (see 1.5) is done:
2.1 Click Next:
2.2 Choose to generate a temporary license or to import the license that BMC might have provided then Click Next:
Note: the temporary license generated by this installer is valid for and devices.
2.3 Choose to install the console for the user installing the master only or for anyone on the device:
As the console is being installed on the master it makes sense to install it for any user on the device.
2.4 Choose the installation path then click next
It is best to install it on a disk that can be extended if required. The documentation on the hardware prerequisites provides estimations on what could be the required size depending on the number of children. Note that this depends a lot on what the master will be used for patchs? Packages? or just inventories, etc.
2.5 Choose the ports to be used:
- Ports: The port 1610 will be used for inter-agents communications, the port 1611 for console and tunnels communications.
- SSL: Set it to Yes
The certificates generated through this installer are unique. They are generated using various criterion related to the master hardware/system so there is no need to setup another certificate later as it cannot generate twice the same certificate.
Enabling TLS 1.2 only for BCM communications is possible but will have to be setup after the master will have effectively been installed: Client Management: How to force TLS 1.2 for communications
- Click Next
2-6 Set the database name and location:
As per the master it is better to set the path to a disk that can be extended if necessary. For better performances it is best to set it to a different disk that the one on which the master server is installed.
- Choose to use the default settings or set your own:
- Click Next
2.7 Choose the Out Of the Box (OOB)
BCM ships with several out of the box objects such as default rollout configurations, Devices Groups, Operational rules etc:
Choose in which language they should be imported to the master and click Next:
2.8 Set the BCM service properties:
The defaults are recommended:
Setting up a password to prevent the service from being stopped would only be useful if it's not possible to deny regular users from stopping services from their OS based access rights.
2.9 Select to participate to the continuous improvement program or not
Choosing to participate will help us deliver an even better experience withing the next release, do not hesitate to check Yes. Click Yes.
A popup similar to this one will be displayed, make sure to review it and to go back if an error was made during the previous steps
Click Install to finish the wizard and start the actual configuration of the master, database and console.
2.11 Click Finish twice
The installation is done, and if you let it to the default, the service BMC Client Management Agent is started and the heavy console has been installed.
The following icon can be found on the desktop of this server,
3- Connect to the console
- Double-click on the console icon to launch the console login popup: it opens the "heavy" console (in opposition to the Web Start console)
- Make sure the login window is set like this:
Note: for now it is expected that the "admin" User Name has no password
- Click Login
- Set the password for the account "admin":
- "admin" is the administrator with the most powers: no restrictions or specific capabilities are set to it, which makes it faster than other accounts, but it should not be used. To setup specific administrator profiles, follow this KA: Client Management: How to set up an administrator security profile in BCM Console
- the extra arrows just show how to quickly check which admin is logged into the console and on which port. It can be interested to spot this when the BCM admin can use several BCM administrators account, or even have a production environment and a pre-production environment etc
- Do not use this installer to install relays or clients. It doesn't allow to deploy specific settings, doesn't include the certificates etc
- More information on the heavy console here: Client Management: How to connect to the master using the heavy console
- Much more information on BCM and certificates here:Client Management: About SSL certificates