This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
BMC Discovery 11.3
SAAM modeling in Discovery
What are some best practices for SAAM modeling?
Here is some information and best practices, as well as some items that are not best practices:
- See the "SAAM Tips & Tricks" webinar presented by Duncan Grisby at the Discovery Webinars link: https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-43305
- SAAM models are used to model software applications. They should include some software.
- It is a best practice to begin modeling using some Software or a LoadBalancer ... not just a group of Hosts.
- Network Devices can not be part of SAAM models. This is because they do not generally have software applications running on them.
- It is not a best practice in SAAM to transport models from one appliance to another. SAAM is intended to be used directly on the production system, which is why it has support for models being under development before they are published. It is not designed for transporting models through dev-test-prod on different Discovery systems.
- Only the "model definition" shows all of the nodes in the application. The BAI only shows the "top level" nodes. See KA 000150641.