This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
BMC Capacity Management for Mainframes
BMC Performance Analyzer for Mainframes
What are the steps to verify SMF type 30 Interval recording data for use with CAzE or CMM?
The following are things to look for to verify the SMF type 30 Interval recording data for use with CAzE or CMM.
Step 1 - Are there any Suites in UIE output VSLROUT DSN then some SMF 30s seen
- indicated by T;SUITED in file
- Use ISPF Browse "F SUITED 3" which looks for string in column 3 to save cycles/ time
- If suites then some SMF 30s were seen
- If STC suites then SMF 30 Interval recording is enabled for STCs
Step 2 - If suites exist but show jobs in suites fails
- Verify UIE CMDS has statement "VISFILE INCLUDETBL=JOBD"
- If present verify table in VSLROUT DSN indicated by T;JOBD in file
- CMM has JOBD and JOBS
- CAzE only has JOBD
- Use ISPF Browse "F JOBD 3" which looks for string in column 3 to save cycles/ time
- If present, verify only subset of jobs missing. If subset potentially zOS 2.3 issue requiring patch 25
STEP 3 - Verify SMF interval recording requested for all subsystem types of interest in SMFPRMxx on LPAR that have missing data
- SYS Command INTERVAL command present will provide some SMF 30 interval data
- INTERVAL(SMF,SYNC),DETAIL is desired
- INTERVAL(SMF,SYNC),NODETAIL will exclude STC EXCP data
- Any flavor w/o SYNC undesirable but will work, causes records to be cut at interval from ASID start they will not be aligned w/ SMF 70, 72
- SUBSYS Command - any options will override SYS command if it was present. If no SYS command then this will enable if INTERVAL is coded only for that SUBSYS type. Very common to have JES2 w/o STC enabled.
Step 4- If all previous steps led you to believe SMF 30 interval is enabled and should be in VSLROUT then verify SMF 30 inteval records are in SMF input DSN.
- SMF Dump will verify if any Interval records are cut.
- DFSORT can be used to verify which subsystems are cutting SMF 30s if some are present and others are suspected not to be.
SMF DUMP - Customer could run IFASMFxx (DP or DL) against SMF with
And look at SMF 30 read / written count, if the count is 0 for;
- Read then no SMF 30s in SMF input
- Write then no interval records cut.
DFSORT’s ICEMAN – Select SMF 30s for STC that are interval Subtype 2 Include 2 lines as > col 72
Check record copied count, the in is total SMF count, in my case 30s as input DSN 30s only. Out is # of STC Subtype 2 for example; ICE054I 0 RECORDS - IN: 112731, OUT: 1574
Other WORKTYPE interval recording can be verified by substituting STC with