This section describes the steps to obtain the Remedy AR System server license keys for your on-premise installation. If you are using BMC’s ITSM solution as a Service (BMC Helix ITSM), you do not have to follow these steps.
Every Remedy AR System server installation needs a license key to activate the full capabilities of the product. Each key is tied to a host (hardware or VM); therefore, you must request for a unique license key for each server in the Remedy server group by using the BMC Support Central site.
Starting with Remedy version 7.1, a product license key is required only for the Remedy AR System server. Although you do not need to enter a license key for the Remedy ITSM applications, add-on modules, and users license capacity, you still need to purchase the applicable number of licenses from BMC or from a partner who provides the entitlements to use these capabilities. You are only entitled to use the capacity that you have purchased pursuant to your license agreement and the applicable order.
Types of Remedy AR System server license keys
The following license key types are available:
As an existing Remedy customer, if you have purchased Remedy licenses using the 2007 or 2015 solution pricing model SKUs, you do not need to purchase licenses for Remedy instances that are exclusively used for the development and testing of your Remedy solution. You can install and try out additional IT Service Management applications or add-on modules in a non-production environment, without having to request for a trial license.
Requesting temporary or permanent license keys
To request a temporary or permanent license key, use the BMC Support Central site. To access the self-service license key generator, you must have an active user login account on BMC Support Central.
If you do not know your user ID and password for the site, contact BMC Customer Support Contacts for your region.
To request a temporary or permanent license key
- Log in to BMC Support Central.
- Click My Support and select License and Password.
Note: You will require a valid Support Contract ID to access the links.
- To request a permanent license key, go to Remedy License Keys and click Request a New License.
- To request a temporary license key, click Request a Trial/Temporary Licenses.
Note: Trial licenses are active for 30 days only.
- On the End User License Agreement and the Export Compliance Statement page, click I Agree.
- Enter the required (*) information.
- Verify that your available Remedy licensed products and features are related to the Support Contract ID displayed on the form.
- To request a new license, the Purchase Order Number is required for the BMC Remedy licensed products and features.
Note: If you do not have this information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the BMC Customer Support website at http://www.bmc.com/support and submit a case.
- Verify the correct Remedy AR System server version.
This is required for a valid license key.
- Enter the Host ID of the operating systems. To find the Host ID for the supported operating systems:
7. From the list of product features, select the desired Product Feature and enter 1 under Quantity Requested.
8. Click Request License.
Your license key will be sent to your email.
Note: You can only request one license key at a time.
Adding and removing licenses for Remedy AR System server version 7.1 and later
- Log in to the Remedy AR System server.
- Open the Remedy AR System Administration Console.
- Select System > General > Add or Remove Licenses.
- Select Add New.
- Select AR Server, and then enter the Number of Licenses.
- For server and application licenses, enter 1.
- For user licenses, enter any number greater than 0.
- Add the license key with the dash in the key.
Make sure that you do not leave any leading or trailing spaces.
- If the key is temporary, enter the Expiration Date in the same format as mentioned on the key structure.
- Click Save.
- Add only one license key per application, but add enough user licenses for the various Remedy IT Service Management applications that you are licensed to use.
- From the list displayed, select the type of license that you want to add. The License Type field is updated with the license type that you selected. If applicable, select the number of licenses and enter the license key.
- Click Generate License Usage Report to communicate the license usage to your support and account representatives.