This document contains official content from the BMC Software Knowledge Base. It is automatically updated when the knowledge article is modified.
Remedy IT Service Management Suite
Remedy ITSM Foundation
The following guide will be separated in sections outlined below
- Important information regarding the validate steps
- What logs/forms do I gather to troubleshoot validate steps and where do I look
- Best Practices
- Example error messages you may find
- Links to other useful UDM KB articles
Before continuing this knowledge base article, it is important to understand the DMT sequence of events
- Step Run Sequence
- Data Creation and Updates
- Understanding the data load spreadsheets
- Locating and Managing the spreadsheets
Now that you have a general understanding of this process, lets move on to some important information regarding the validate steps.
Important information regarding the validate step
When you create and run a dataload job for the first time, the system uses the data from a job template to create new records on the target form or forms.
The Data Management supports data updates only for CTM:LoadPeople form.
If you try to update the data on the forms for which data update is not supported:
- For certain forms, the system overwrites the data and replaces the earlier field values with the values provided in the update. If you want to update data on such forms, you must provide values for all the form fields irrespective of whether you want to update those fields.
- For certain forms listed in table, the data is only created and not updated. These forms are marked by a Create Only flag, which is displayed in the Steps panel of a job record when the Validate and Promote steps are created for a job.
- When you decide to run a dataload job, the data load is automatically validated. The validation of data occurs before the data is promoted.
- Each Validate step represents the validation of data for one staging form.
- Validating foundation fields for transactional records against staging data will only be possible when both are contained within the same job and are for the same company. If separate jobs are created for foundation and related transactional data, then the foundation data must be promoted first, and validations must occur against the target ITSM forms.
- For the validation step to run, escalations on the AR System server must be enabled. If escalations are disabled, for example, to run the Data Wizard (as described in Prerequisites to updating target values using the data wizard), ensure you enable them before performing this procedure.
- Reviewed, fixed and re-run from the 'Error Management Console'
- If you have many errors to fix and wish to cancel the job:
- You can load the same data from the spreadsheet in a new job, if you had a wait in promote and no data was promoted to target form
- You have to remove the promoted data from the spreadsheet and then only load the rest as a new job if some records were already promoted
Validation errors for CI jobs:
- Cannot be fixed and re-run 'Error Management console'
- Job has to be cancelled and the data needs to be loaded with another job
- The validation step waits for Reconciliation job to complete and shows related errors when an error occurs
- Check recon logs if the job is stuck in validate step
- Cancel the job and load data with a new job once you fix your data/recon issue
What logs or forms do I look at to troubleshoot validate steps
All validate step error details will be available in the following forms
- The load form when you navigate via the 'View Data' button. Double Click on a validate step and it will show you the staging form Used. If you get an error on this validate, open the staging form and you can view the errors found in Error_code and Error_message
- CAI:Events form
- The Error Management console - Errors found on staging forms are flagged. For details about fixing errors, see Managing data errors.
- ARerror.log - This log file lists errors in running validation and promotion.
When in Pentaho / Spoon click the folder icon with the Arrow. Locate the job "Transformation" and open it up for the job you are running
For example AST Computer System loads to AST:LoadAttributes
In the below example I tried to load a How To Knowledge article and filled out the Site incorrectly to trigger a fail. Since the site is not a site in the environment it did not finish correctly. How would someone troubleshoot this failure?
- First I double click or select 'View' on the validate error and identify the form
- Copy the staging form name and navigate to the form
- Enter the job ID in the Job ID field and look for Error Flag marked as yes in the column Error Flag. Notice the error message invalid site. Knowing this I would go back and investigate my spreadsheet for incorrect site names
The following documents are great best practices and information on using the spreadsheets correclty
Spreadsheet usage tips
Simplified Transactional CI Spreadsheet
Error messages you may find during a validate process failure
|CAI:Events form shows the server target to be a different server name|| |
|Wait Before Execution” on the Validate step does not get removed, and it stays In Progress on the validate step.||If this is a CI load, the reconciliation job has to be complete. Please verify any Recon job times to make sure they are not set at a certain time to run. Typically this means it is waiting on reconciliation|
|Foundation data load stuck on validate||Verify the Escalations are running on the environment|
|Validate (and Promote) step remain in a 'Queued' status while overall UDM Job completes||Make sure that the "Max Entries Returned By GetList" setting on the AR Server you are connecting to when starting the job is equal to, or higher than the count returned by the following query:|
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DMT_SYS_SequencingEngine WHERE Parent_Job_GUID = 'DO NOT REMOVE'
When starting a Job run, Active Link "DMT:DJB:RUNJOB_100`!" triggers a Push to the 'DMT:SYS:SequencingEngine' form to build the required sequencing records. The "Max Entries Returned By GetList" setting will determine the maximum number of records that will be targeted by such a Push field action (therefore if it is set too low, this can cause this build process to fail)
Links to other useful UDM / DMT KB Articles
Troubleshooting DMT UDM Load step issues
Troublehsooting DMT UDM Load balance issues
Troubleshooting DMT UDM Promote step issues